This Disappears When Logged In

Omg help - Frog covered in oil

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Erwynn, May 3, 2012.

1. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

My 4 year old dumped a bunch of 3 in 1 mechanical lubricant oil into my daughter's African Clawed Frog's tank!!!! I got him out as soon as I saw it. I was packing and smelled something weird on his hands and went to investigate and the water was swirling with oil.

I have Flippy in a mason jar with clean water right now, but I don't even know how to proceed. Will he make it? I don't know how long she was in there with it, maybe a couple minutes? I have her tank in the tub soaking with dawn detergent because it's the only thing I could think of that would clear up the oil. I don't have any extra filters and I have a spare 10 gallon, but how do I put Flippy in there, without risk of contaminating that aquarium with oil that is on Flippy? How do I get oil off her frog? She's had her 3 years, I'm devastated she might die.

Will the soap clean up his aquarium that I can use it?

2. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

I wish I could help more but one thing I can say that Dawn works pretty good and will help clean the enclosure. It worked with and on animals down in the Gulf when the oil spill happened a couple of years ago. Me and a few others went to help with the clean up and we use Dawn on the animals. I'm a Dart Frog person and I don't know much about ACFs but I wish the for Flippy

3. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

Thanks, I'm thinking I'm going to setup the 10 gallon for now, and just hope she makes it. I can't "clean her" because it'd kill her, but I don't want to keep water transferring her to water tanks over and over because I don't want to shock her system, and I don't have stress coat or anything to put in the water.

4. aldru

aldru Member

yeah definitely avoid using dawn on her, amphibian skin is so porous!! fingers crossed for her!

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I honestly don't know what you can do. Frogs absorb stuff through their skin. Is it possible to set her up in a few different tubs/bin, like margarine containers and rotate every few hours? I don't know if that will work to get the oils off her. Maybe a gentle rubbing with some Q-tips.

I would sunlight/dawn her tank out, rinse it out until the soap is gone then wash it out with vinegar and water, rinse that until you can't smell the vinegar.
    I hope she pulls throught! I remeber when mine where young like that my son was 3 years old when he poured a box of instant rice in my fish tank, killing all my fish, including my huge angel fish :(

6. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry after I posted my reply and reread it, I was talking about using Dawn to clean the tank not Flippy

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That sucks! I know that plain old fashioned (clay) kitty litter is good for soaking up oil. Sliced bread would soak up oil well. Also I know that there is oil absorbent pads that ships have for oil spills and I would imagine that gas stations may have those as well.
    I would definitely call a local wildlife resource to see what they would use for spill where amphibians are involved, since they would be different than a mammal.

8. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

Thanks, I might call DOW here if it looks bad, but she looks ok. I think I snagged her out in time. I've transferred her a couple times, waiting for oil to dissipate off her, then transferring her to another clean container. I used the new aquarium, not going to use the old one at all, the oil is everywhere, in the seams and all over the gravel, I'm going to chuck the old one. Guess it was time for a size upgrade anyways. When I transferred her she jumped out and I ended up having to grab her, and got a bunch of oil off her with just handling. She seems fine now, I'll keep an eye on her and update y'all later.

9. mld

Best of luck and keep us posted! Hopefully someone will know exactly what to do.

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

you can dab her gently with a clean, dry towel to see if any residual oil comes off.

11. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

She's already in her tank swimming about, and I'm not seeing any more oil coming off her. I'd hate to stress her out anymore >.>

12. mld

Glad to hear that she is swimming around.