This Disappears When Logged In

Old Cage New Idea

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by titus, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

So I've had this Old exo terra sitting around for years. I finally got to give it a good go and set it up for some smaller tropical geckos. It still needs a climbing plant or two and a good 2-3 months to "grow in" before any animals are added to it, but I'm fairly happy with the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Nice broms. :)

3. titus

Thanks the higher mounted on is Vriesea racinae and the lower is a smaller species of Vriesea gigantea, though it may out grow the cage an I'll have to switch out the branch to another cage.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Nice job.
    I'm planning(okay planning's a strong word)or hoping to incorporate some live plants into my next enclosure. Got to add some colour.
    How do the broms hold up to higher temperatures like 100F?

6. titus

Not very well, normal temps for them are in the high 80's and no direct heat from bulbs what so ever or the leaves brown very quickly. Most species, namely the soft leaved types really don't need strong lighting. Harder leaved and colorful species like a bit more lite. But under high heat or standing water they all die.

For a cage with these temps I would look to succulents. Mainly from Africa. Some flower very well and are used as nesting places for some geckos that lay eggs in the spines to protect them from predators. Try, Euphorbia, Titanopsis, Fockea, Aloe, Pachypodium, Echeveria, and Kalanchoe species. They all do well at high temps and with little water.

Most tropical plants and animals just don't fair well at high temps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.