This Disappears When Logged In

Old Afts; Strange Behavior?

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Taterbunny, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

So I just recently took in two rescue African fat tails, Nugget (12 years old) and Poot (7 years old). Admittedly, they're my first fat tails, I only ever owned a leo and iguana.
    I usually take them out for feedings so I can monitor how much each eats on which days, and I feed Nugget both crickets and a liquid food diet currently (Nugget is believed to have cancer by my herp vet), whereas Poot gets crickets. However, Nugget acts weird during feedings, never seen any other gecko do this. When I feed her crickets, she will look interested, but will just sit in her spot with her mouth open. She doesn't strike, but will eat them if I put them in her mouth. It almost looks like she's hissing at them, but with no sound, chirps, or altered breathing. She just... sits there with her mouth open staring at them. :I Only does this during cricket feeding time. Is this a normal occurrence? Is this like a more common thing once they get older? Maybe it's related to her sickness?

Poot on the other hand has a healthy appetite and happily strikes at her food, but it can take her several minutes before she strikes. She often misses if I don't tong-feed her. I think she might have vision problems, though the vet said her eyes were clear.

Both Nugget and Poot handle extremely well, very calm. Both can support their weight on their limbs and move around when they want. The vet said they both have strong jaws and no signs of MBD.