This Disappears When Logged In

Ol' Yeller needs help!!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by MadDog, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

love his yellow!

And i have a few frogs that like their head rubbed too. :)

2. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

One more question, I have some grapes and bananas for him to eat right now, until i can get some minnows and other stuff, I also cooked him some scrambled eggs. He seems to have ate just a small amount in the three days I've had him. Is it normal for them to eat small amounts or not and if not, should he eat more once I get him into his bigger setup? He's pooped four times, twice today and two times yesterday, so I'm pretty sure he has at least eaten a little.

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

he probably is still adjusting to the move. Most animals take a bit to get adjusted prior to eating normally...

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

It may also take him time to get used to those foods. If he's never been fed that before, he may not be so sure he can eat it. As far as plant matter goes, make sure leafy greens make up the bulk of it. Collard greens are the ones I've had the best luck with. Mustard greens are good too. Lettuce is almost all water, so don't bother with it. And kale is good for them too, but mine never liked it much. Dandelion leaves are great too, but if you collect your own be sure it's from a place far from any pesticides, fertilizers, or any other chemicals, and make sure you wash them well too. You can possibly also find them at an organic grocery store, cause people can eat them too.

Vegetables take priority after that, and fruit last. Scrambled eggs are good too as far as the meat side of the diet goes. Just don't add any salt, pepper, or ketchup :p

....hmmm, now I'm hungry :(

5. Semanticprison

Semanticprison Active Member

Plan on doing lots of water changes no matter what filter you get, those little guys are messy and it doesnt take long for their water to foul.

6. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Thanks Furryscaly for the info and I have found out just how messy they are, Semanticprison, last night when I gave him some chopped bananas.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Oh yeah, you'll want to completely change the water up to every other day, and clean the habitat once a week. You can reduce the mess by feeding him in a separate container, and then leaving him in there for a while to see if he poops.

I HIGHLY recommend you get a Python "No Spill" siphon system. I swear by them. It will make water changing faster, easier, more efficient, and less messy. It's completely worth the cost of the hose, which can run around $1 a foot I think. It looks like this:
    http://source-www.petco.com/assets/product_images/9/9403605014B.jpg

8. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

What exactly does it do? Help drain the water or what?

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

You attach it to your faucet and it uses the water pressure from your faucet to suck out the water from your turtle habitat and dump it right down your drain. It's fast, easy, and less gross than any other way. And the bonus is you can also use it to pump clean water right from your faucet directly into the habitat to refill it back up. Being a former turtle keeper, I can say it is by far the most valuable reptile product I've ever owned...even if it's really meant for fish :p How far your tank is from the sink will determine how long of a hose you'll need and thus how expensive it will be.

10. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

We had one for our 55 gal fish tank and they make things SOOO much easier!

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

i have one for the fish tank and the firebelly toad tank. Worth every penny.

If you want, you can spend the money on the short one, and then get extra hose at Home Depot. In our old house i had 50 feet between the sink and the tank. Worked just great.

12. redtailnamedjade

redtailnamedjade Elite Member

potassium chloride and chlorine arent the same thing, and im pretty sure that magnesium sulfate is used in water and basically helps improve bouyancy

13. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Can someone post some pictures of the beggining stages of shell rot. I hope not, but ol' yeller might have the beggining stages of it. I'm not for sure though. It's really dry, even though it spends alot of time soaking, and it's kinda of fabricish feeling (Don't know of any other way of explaining it. Sorry) I'll try and get some pictures of it where you can see what I'm talking about.

14. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Are you certain it's shell rot and he's not just shedding?

Normal shedding causes the scutes to peel off like this:
    http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/eek/critter/reptile/images/turtleSheddingScutes.jpg
    http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles/rbt15_12.JPG

I don't have any shell rot images, but if you Google it you get results that show varying levels of it:
    shell rot - Google Image Search

There's also another recent thread in the turtle forum about shell rot that you may want to look at if you haven't already.

15. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I think it might have been shedding because it's looking better and that's what it was doing.

Attached Files:

16. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

O.K., he isn't eating right anymore. Well, let me rephraise that, he ISN'T eating at all. He's loosing weight and hid tail is really thin. What do I need to do? This has been going on for about 3 weeks now. I keep giving him the oppertunity to eat nad he never does. I leave him with his food for about 2 hours and I count what I give him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.