This Disappears When Logged In

Ok, What is It???

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Frognut, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

We found this guy in our basement and then saw him right outside the self-created doggie door (doggie created, that is). I'm pretty sure it is the same one --- any idea what it is?

Thanks,
    Frognut

2. Frognut

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Its an american toad. :p

4. Frognut

Well that is exciting...:rolleyes:

Maybe I'll get a terracotta toad home for him so he stays around - he's cute! I'm not sure my husband was thrilled to find him in the basement, but ya know he'll get used to it.

It is pretty big, but not as big as the last toad that made a home in our basement. That guy/girl was easially 6"-8" around -- BIG! He stayed with us for two years, until the 1" section under the door was fixed and then we didn't see him.

Now, since the dog created her own doggie door (and I'm not fixing it because she will just make another one) he might hang out like the last one. But I should find him some place to hangout outside so he can 'hide' from the dogs.

Thanks Schlegelbagel, although I was hoping for something exotic and different :D

Frognut

5. Justinsane8000

Justinsane8000 Active Member

Yup, just a standard cute American Toad. Found in many dank areas.

6. Frognut

Well, that would explain the attraction of our basement --- dank describes it pretty good!

Frognut

7. Justinsane8000

Justinsane8000 Active Member

Yeah, just be careful if you try to pick it up.. You'll get peed on. Just their way of saying "hello, I'm really scared."

8. Frognut

Yeah, I really did want to pick him up - but I remember all the times in my youth when I got peed on, so I passed up the urge! :D

9. schlegelbagel

It's just toad pee. :p

10. Frognut

Yeah, but I HATE it when it runs down my arm and drips off my elbow onto my shoes! :eek:

11. Frognut

Harley - the American Toad that has adopted our basement looks like he has moved in to stay. His 'home' is under the dryer, although I don't have a clue as to how he fits - he is DEFINATELY finding enough food. (That's why my husband named him Harley - after the 'Harley Fat Boy'.

Anything I need to do to make his winter stay better for him? Our basement is a stone foundation built in the late 1890's with a poured concrete floor added sometime in the last 40ish years. It is dank and stays approximately 68 degrees all year round.

We had another American Toad a few years ago that hung around for about 2 years and we never did anything special for him/her - but I thought since I'm checking in here I would see if there was anything recommended.

Frognut

12. schlegelbagel

I would think that as long as he is getting enough to eat, he'll be fine. He wouldn't move in unless he felt like it was a good place to be.

13. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Wouldn't it nice to charge him rent?? Of course, he is probably eating the various bugs, spiders, and such that like basements. And under the dryer, probably gives enough heat. Congrats on the new house guest!!!!

14. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

Definitely a cute little toad. Haha

15. Frognut

I have to try and get a new photo -- he is huge! Very Rollie-Poly. No problem with his diet!

He comes out to say hello and then hops back under the dryer. He lets my husband pet him - Harley just puffs up or squeaks, but no pee (yet).

We're happy with him, and his appetite

Frognut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.