This Disappears When Logged In

Ohio Exotic Bill Has Been Introduced

Discussion in 'Reptile Law - Legal News' started by TJOHNSON722, Apr 6, 2012.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

There has been a bill introduced in Ohio regarding the ownership of Exotic Animals. So, From the research I have done so far, Pythons and other Boa's will be allowed. It is a relief after reading not to long ago about an outright ban. From what I understand, the owners of Boa's and Pythons (such as myself) will have to carry insurance, pass a background check (no felonies), microchip all my snakes, and have an escape plan. **I really dont know what they mean by escape plan, most of mine will be under lock and key. Both locks on the cages and locks on the door leading to the reptile room, but hey, just in case they get out of both of those right?*** For venemous snake owners in Ohio, you will also be forced to carry a supply of anti-venom. Here is a link of the news station that gave the most information about this new bill that will be voted on I believe April 23rd??

On another note it does say in some places that crocodilian species will be required to stay at "wildlife sanctuaries".

Any thoughts, or if you have heard anything else about this bill please comment as I have been watching this very very closely. Bill Introduced To Ban Most Exotic Animals In Ohio | WBNS-10TV

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Just read sb.310. It was approved and has moved to Ohio Senate. It will be voted on today and is expected to pass. I and other Ohioans will be required to carry permits and pay yearly fees and carry liability insurance. I will also be required to microchip all restricted snakes that i own, pass an extensive background check. Were talking BCI(state) and FBI, post signs every 10 ft around the perimeter of my house "Dangerous Wild Animals or Restricted Snakes on Premesis". Embarrassing, is it not? I hear these stringent laws will be spreading from this state. Is your state next?

3. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Is this a joke?

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

No. Unfortunately not. You can Google it or check out usarks Facebook page.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Basically, it all stems from.the Zanesville Ohio incident last October. Even though it had nothing to do with reptiles, reptile owners and breeders take the biggest hit. Usark has been very active in this, the president Andrew has been attending the meetings personally.

6. BarelyBreathing

Signs every ten feet stating what you keep in your house?! That's ASKING to be robbed.

7. justor

justor Elite Member

Or discouraging it... Depending on who your burglar is lol.
    Definitely an invasion of privacy though.

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

That's what I read on the actual bill. I live in an old nice neighborhood. We get robbed already constantly. I will have to get a security system and cameras. My husband is really upset. I'll be fine, thankfully I have the funds for the fees and insurance but others may not. They are already talking about filing a class action lawsuit on reptile owners behalf. It is crazy right now.

9. BarelyBreathing

It's crazy, but then again it's crazy that it got this far. We have a problem here where people actually scout out reptiles stores while they are open and then rob them later on. Stealing reptiles is more common than most people think.

10. BarelyBreathing

Actually, I should rephrase that. It's not actually a common occurance, but it's been known to happen a few times.

11. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I think ill be seeing a lot of these restricted snakes on Craigslist and other places.

12. BarelyBreathing

Probably. And how many of them will get released?

13. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

More than half I'm guessing.

14. BarelyBreathing

That's sad.

15. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Boas under 12 feet are excluded also dwarf caimans are excluded. I just found that out. Fees and insurances are more if you breed too.

16. BarelyBreathing

That's a little better...

17. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Still not right to punish reptile owners for the actions of one man who owned no reptiles.

18. BarelyBreathing

And clearly that man was ill.

19. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I think I'm more upset about the signs. I'll gladly pay their fees, liability insurance should be covered under our umbrella policy. However, ill place a sign in front and back of my house, but every 10 feet? Come on

20. BarelyBreathing

I wouldn't want to advertise that I keep reptiles at all on my property. That's like advertising that I keep expensive guitars, or I have an advanced gaming set up. Some people will see those signs as "gold".