This Disappears When Logged In

Oh Mites............

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by TJOHNSON722, May 14, 2012.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Oh mites have been found on 3 of my 5 snakes. Ordered provent a mite. ugh.................. i swear im seriously wary now of everything i bring into my home. No more cool substrate. Papertowels or newspaper from now on for all my snakes after this. Going to cleanse everything else. I am giong to be spraying myself with alcohol (it works for getting bedbugs off of you) after trips to the pet store, reptile expo, etc.This is rediculous. I was planning on bringing a new snake home this coming Saturday. Guess thats off now. Rediculous. Unless we put it in the basement. Its the only thing i can think of.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

i am also going to get some of the equate bedding spray until my provent a mite comes in. it has the same amount active ingredient as the provent a mite. bathe the snakes in soapy water (blue regular dawn) every day. **i hear this kills the mites on the snakes** shortcuts dont work. everything is getting bakes or boiled, sterilized, and only newspaper bedding from now on. ill let you guys know how it all turns out in a month or two

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That sucks! Good luck with the little buggers

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

That sucks!! Have you heard of the Nix treatment? The head lice stuff. You mix it in a bottle of distilled water and mist everything with it. A friend of mine who is a breeder uses it on every animal she brings home.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Yes I did hear about nix. I'm going to get some tommorrow.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I have about half a bottle left over from when my daughter had lice this winter (yay public school!) So I'm keeping it on hand just incase :) One petshop here often has mites so I avoid that one as much as I can.

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I'm going to also start treating every animal with provent a mite and nix as well as quarantine. I hate mites. I figure 60 days should be enough of treatments to rid them.

9. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Good news, I have done two treatments with provent a mite and i used the reptile spray by natural chemistry on the snakes. switched to newspaper and no signs of mites. I am still going to do maybe one or two more treatments though.

10. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Yay! Don't forget that there could still be eggs waiting to hatch in the enclosures.

11. robdavis305

robdavis305 Member

I use Prevent a Mite every 2 months just to be on the safe side, and also use the Reptile Relief once a month on all my babies!!

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I may have to do that. They are very annoying little things.