This Disappears When Logged In

Oh Lordy!

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Thalatte, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have no idea how I get myself into these situations.

Well I got a call from a guy that knows a friend of a friend of someone I vaguely know that has 8- yes 8!- 13week old undersized tortoises (they think they are desert torts and not Sulcatas-I think its doubtful but am hoping this is the case since they are smaller, slower growing species) that they want me to take or they will release them.
    So of course I said yes *smacks myself*. I am just waiting for the guy to give me the time and place to grab the babies.

This would make a total of 3 bearded dragons, 1 high maintenance sadistic CWD (everyone will be happy to know his attitude is now official back!), 6 fire belly toads, 4 turtles (one has an RI and an eye infection), 5 dogs, 3year old Sulcata tortoises, 2 disabled (one physically the other suspected kidney damage), two 2year old Sulcatas the size of newly hatched sulcatas (rescues/rehabs), and 8 desert tortoises all in a 950 square foot condo with teeny tiny yard.

I am only slightly freaking out on where to put some tort nurseries and what to make them out of!

*bangs head against the wall*

2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Oohhhhh jesus. That's a lot in a little space, especially considering the size of some of the enclosures needed. :/

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yep. I have homes already for my two big sulcatas and a maybe home for one desert tort if he doesn't actually have organ damage but it's looking like he does...and the two little sulcatas will go back to their original owner once I get them to grow a bit.
    But the 8 babies? Who knows were those will end up.

4. Logan

Logan Elite Member

MAILED TO MEEEE! "Ya box those, ya ship those." !!!!

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

alrighty! my job is done!

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm looking around at my 975 square foot apartment...thinking how in the world? I just found a way to fit a dining room table in here. I couldn't imagine! But I wish I could take one off of your hands. Good luck with them, and I'm sure once you get them bigger you'll find homes for them :)

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

yeah I am trying to figure out where to put them...I am at a complete loss unless I use the winter bins for the other torts and then just put the brumating tortoises in a box on my book shelf but this would have to be really small boxes...
    Plus it doesnt help that I just shelled out $1,468 for Tai"s new enclosure.

Maybe I will do what I have always wanted to do and make the platform for my bed a giant reptile cage...

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ouch. That price tag made me wince a little. I'm just imagining your bed being a giant glass enclosure with little baby torts going about their business while you try to nap...

9. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Thiiiis is why I plan to invest in a loft bed. It's going to be just me and Toothless very soon... I'd really like to get my dog back, buuuuut, with having to get a place for just me, IDK if I'll be able to afford something that will allow her. I'm going to end up having to get a second job to pull thaaat one off. :/

10. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Keeping you in my thoughts, Thala!! You get yourself into these situations because you can't say NO!! You have a very big heart.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The price made me wince too but it is going to be really pretty, and easy to take apart and have a huge 90gal fish tank in it with planted setup so I am looking forward to the end product. Yeah thats pretty much what it would be a wooden box with a slide out glass cage under it.

I had a loft bed and it was very very inconvienent and honestly isnt tall enough to put an adult cwd enclosure under. it worked well when I just had the fish tanks of lizards but Tai's new cage needed more room so I sold the loft bed and am now sleeping on the floor with the dogs.

12. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Yeeeeah ... I'm currently on my futon mattress in a different room. I've refused to put the futon frame together until I get settled with my own place (looking at about a month or so). I started scoping out dishes and all that today. I've never lived alone, so ... this shall be super interesting. Especcciallllly considering it looks like I'm going to end up in a different apartment in the same building (cheapest thing around) until I can find a 2nd job. The GOOD news is that they do both weekly and monthly, with no long term leases. So, once I'm ready I can just move. I won't have to worry about finishing up a lease. I figure I'll just get the small efficiency and it'll be fine for the two of us. The hard part will be finding a ventilated place that I can seal up the wood for his enclosure in. I'm thinking of just renting a 5x5 storage space when I'm ready, and doing all of the sealing in that..

Buuuut, how do finished fake rock backgrounds stand up to being transported? If I'm using a storage space to do the sealing because of ventilation, I'll have to put all of the fake background in, paint it, and seal it there too ...

AND ... I completely just hijacked this. *wanders off to bash face on wall* tra la la la la ...

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well if they are laid completely flat they should do ok but there isstill a high risk of cracks and breaks. Isnt their a balcony or something where you can have it outside your apartment to cure?

14. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Here, yes. But, before everything went to craaaap, we had finally got set up to move. In fact, supposed to be going down on or before the 1st. I'm not sure. I haven't really been involved much. In fact, I have no idea as to what the place looks like. Don't care much. It was just another temporary situation, because I can't deal with the people we're staying with anymore. They moved in here in July, and the land lord has been putzing around about producing a lease so that the hot water AND heat could get turned on ... we straight up told the kid who's apartment it is that that's illegal. Land lord has to give you what you need to be able to have access to heat and hot water at all times. It's right on the housing authority website. So, we told him we weren't going to offer him any $ until he got he stuff from the landlord for it. Honestly, he told us we could stay here as long as we wanted with out paying him anything anyways, but, we were going to be nice since we ended up being here longer than originally planned. He won't wash his own dishes ... or buy tp, or garbage bags ... or anything. His mommy still does his laundry (they live in the lower apartment). We found these apartments through some one at work, and we (3 of us, NOT the kid who's apartment this is, obvs) are just going to go there. And then, from there, I'm moving into my own set up ASAP.

Anyways, land lord putz around saying how he haaaad to have copies of their licenses before he would give them a lease. To bad they didn't specifically NEED a lease, they were told by the power company (for some reason, the electric is attached to the downstairs apartment (kids parents) so that's been on, but not heat or hot water ???) that even just a letter from the landlord stating that he was living here and had permission to get stuff turned on was fine, but nooooo. FINALLY at some point last week the kid finally told him he wasn't paying him until he produce the paper work to get the heat turned on (he pays every 2 weeks, he has it set up with the landlord like that). Well, the landlord finally caved about the ID's. But, with in the couple days it took the landlord to come over with the lease, he managed to spend his rent money. So, the land lord took it out on us, says 'you have 7 days to get out' ... tooooo bad that's illegal too. Even if we aren't on the lease, he legally has to take us to court to get us out. It's whatever, we were moving out anyways. But, it's just the fact that this kid is getting jerked around because he's 19 and has no idea how renting and the laws work.

ANYWAYS, he STILL hasn't faxed the paperwork in to get the hot water turned on. It's getting way to cold to be taking cold showers ... good thing the lizards have heat sources that can be used 24/7.

But yea ... I'm not sure if there will be a balcony there or anything. Granted, there may be a basement. I guess this place used to be an inn. I have no idea. BUT, I could probably convince them (meaning my now ex and her best friend) to have Toothless in their apartment while I get his big enclosure sealed and done up. I really only sleep a few hours a day/night, so once I get settled and get everything together, I don't see why I couldn't have it put together in a week or two. I'm getting my license switched over with this next paycheck, beeecaaauuuse, I found out they pay you to donate plasma here. Up to roughly $300 a month. Psht. That extra income will build a bigger enclosure pretty easy.

I'm still planning on doing it in two separate builds. Just to increase height for him slowly. Yes, I know it will be a pain, BUT, if I'm going to end up with a height around 6 ft ... I'd really prefer to do it in sections, for safety. Yep ... I worry a lot about him. :/

15. activelydying

activelydying Well-Known Member

Just checking to see how the new army is doing?

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I finally got ahold of the lady and I picked them up from her only to drive them straight to a conservation garden and drop them off. I was sooooooo glad that I diet have to house these guys and that they can go to a good educational place.

17. activelydying

activelydying Well-Known Member

Very nice!!

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yep. Unfortunately she mentioned she gets clutches quite often and she refuses to separate the adults-not that that would help much since torts store semen for awhile and can lay multiple clutches from one breeding season throughout their lifetime.