This Disappears When Logged In

Officer uses taser to subdue python

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Moshpitrockchick, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I thought it was a nice change of pace to see that they didn't KILL the snake for once.
    I found the poll results to be interesting...

The Story

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Now that should be forwarded along to every police officer across the U.S. lol

The truth is, the snake likely wasn't at fault. I am guessing, since there are not a great deal of details, the guy hadn't washed his hand or he was actually hand feeding the snake when it grabbed him.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

If he had used a good set of tongs I can't see that it would have grabbed his hand. Snakes are pretty accurate at hitting their mark.

4. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Some snakes do miss. If he moved it or something, or the snaked missed the rat and went for his hand. Gabbys do it often, they change thier stike mid strike, why you have to know what your doing when keeping them

5. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

Yea thats a goon idea i guess, i really don't know how good it is for the snake! Just need to be careful when feeding!

6. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I'm glad that the snake didn't get permanently hurt by the taser, and that is an awesome idea for officers when they come across something similar.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Other good methods of getting a snake to release include using hot water, pouring alcohol in the snake's mouth, and/or bending the tip of the tail back. Each method should work pretty much every time, especially the alcohol (I always kept some 151 rum nearby when working with larger constrictors ;))

The taser was another awesome idea though. It's too bad you don't see that more widely used as opposed to the "open fire" or stabbing techniques. Good read.

8. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

I glad this worked out. Thanks Matt for the tips on getting a big snake off you.

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

interesting article. thanks for sharing. :)

10. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

Thanks for sharing!

11. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I'm glad to see a resourcful officer, I was not glad (or surprised) to see the poll results.

I really thought this was a protocol for those keeping large constrictors :confused: Why isn't it? Anyone, anyone?

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'm not sure about that one. I don't think it's as well known a fact as it ought to be. I bet I could look up care of constrictors in various books, online, and through asking people without even hearing about it.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Among the keepers of larger constrictors that I know, having a spray bottle of alcohol near at hand is a given.
    However just because its a smart thing to do doesn't meant that everyone does it.
    This brings us back to the arguement of people who aren't prepared for the animals that they aquire.

14. Dawg

Dawg Elite Member

this is the first ive heard of alcohol to get a snake to loosen up its grip
    i found with dogma that if hes holding too tight and dosnt want to let go i take him to his enclosure or the bath tub he is more than happy to be in both

15. Merlin

The alcohol both tastes bad and creates a burning sensation in their mouth and nose.
    Rubbing alcohol can also be used in a pinch but drinking type alcohol is safer for the snake.

If the keeper will leave it alone!;)

16. Dawg

Dawg Elite Member

ill keep that in mind as theres always a bottle of rum in the freezer

17. jcr

jcr Active Member

Rum?!....bloody pirates. :p I liked the story & alot of great info. Thanks, guys.

18. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I hear it's harder to pour when frozen. Just giving you a hard time ;)

19. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Rum slushies are the best. lol First ive heard of using alcohol thought.

Hey wait...the keeper cant have a drink?

20. Merlin

The keeper gets a drink AFTER the snake is removed from whatever portion of your anatomy it has latched on to!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.