This Disappears When Logged In

Odd Impaction

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by leslielenee, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Well, Fisher, our Garter has fully healed like a champ BUT now is facing an impaction...

This impaction was first thought to be a twisted intestine because of the ball shaped bulge...I even thought maybe she was ovulating or something like that...
    We went to the vet and was able to 'juice up' the impaction from the front end and rear end...
    The feeding has been light to nothing and after many many many massages I have come to believe that the impaction is not life threatening AT THIS TIME because I can push it up to allow other things to pass...
    I am at loss though...because I can not feed her usual amounts because of it...I have tried to maneuver, stretch, mush and everything short of pulling it out myself...
    Any advice would be welcomed since the next step is a 300 dollar x ray...
    here is a pic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    O.k. so there it is...Thanks to everyone, in advance...

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I am sorry to hear.:( Do you know what it could be, on what substrate is he? Plus, are you 100% sure it is a boy?

3. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

She is female...Last year she had a liter of 26...
    She is on horrible bedding but the impaction is movable up...But not down...After a massage yesterday urates passed...but I can not feed her solids...we have given her doses of mineral oil and the vet also 'slicked it up' for us (from the front and the back)...
    My husband seems to think that if we did continue feeding then maybe it would push itself out...And after the passing of urates yesterday I am hoping that that isn't all that bad of an idea.
    And also, maybe there is a safe laxative that would help to break it down enough for passing...

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you sure that it is an impaction. It is possible that it could also be a growth such as a tumor.

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Horrible bedding? Did you remove it?

6. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

The pet store was out of the bedding we usually buy in bulk...They had very harsh aspen...But since it was in paper bails I did not see it until getting it home and ripping it open...My husband fed her so I am not sure if she ingested any of it...
    the swelling originally felt like it could have been a twisted intestine and I imagine that a cyst would feel the same...Or ovulation (although ball shaped). However, after one massage it really did feel like a poop. Maybe because the softer urates were able to pass out...
    Like I said, though, the next step is an x-ray. But I'm really hoping it doesn't have to go that way..

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

you can always remove the "horrible bedding" and temporarily use newspaper, paper towel, or even a regular towel if you suspect it's contributing to her problem.

8. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

No, but the ball shape is getting bigger even though she has been off of food for two weeks...Which leads me to believe that it must not be an impaction at all. It may be a cyst...:confused:

Like I said...Last week the vet put fluids in the front and the back...She has passed the tail end stuff and a few days ago passed some urates...

Since she is wild caught and I have no way of telling how old she is, I really do not feel well about an x-ray and surgery.:(

I'm at loss.
    But thank you all for all of your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.