This Disappears When Logged In

Odd ? But - How Do You Unpack 1000 Crickets?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by CTU2fan, May 13, 2015.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Ordered some crickets, I've got a big Sterilite type tote to keep them in with egg flats, water gel, cricket chow. But how do I get 1000 hopping crickets from box to bin without infesting my house with them? I bought from Georgia Crickets and they offer cloth bag packing, I'm hoping that will be simpler.

I'm definitely leaning toward doing it outside.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Take whatever you have in the bin out for now. Cut the tape on the top of the box, then hold it over the bin, flip it upside down, lower it into the bin at least far enough to get the top of the box below the top of the bin, and the start opening the box. Let the egg crate inside fall out, give the box a couple good smaacks with your hand to dislodge any stragglers, then carefully turn the box over to make sure you got them all out. The lack of any furnishings in the bin will deprive the little twerps of any easy escape, assuming you used an smooth sided bin. Then once the box is out of the way you can add back whatever furnishings you desire. Some things to note, the boxes I usually deal with have full coverage lid flaps, so I can usually open the outer set and still have a basically closed box. There can sometimes be a small gap at one edge at that point though, hence opening the box upside down in the holding tub. Also, make sure you used metal screen in the holding tub for ventilation. They will chew through fiberglass screening. If you'd like I can get some photos or make a short video later when I get home.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Boxed crickets I don't find are all that jumpy until they are warmed up.
    Keep a 40 watt bulb in a dome on top of your sterilite container and it will help cook off the humidity that causes death and smell.
    I cut out a square in the lid and attach metal screen as Darkbird said to use.

4. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Thanks, I did get them and they're all in. I did it outside but I don't think I lost any...well, when I pulled the old crates out there were a couple old crickets in there and I saw one take off.

This is all sort of last minute, I didn't plan on any lizards until my dubia colony was really productive, but one of my wife's coworkers gave her a savannah monitor that's about the size of my finger and in pretty poor shape, so I needed some small insect prey ASAP.