This Disappears When Logged In

Odd Behavior- Baby Super Ghost- IBD?

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by ssprungss, Nov 13, 2012.

1. ssprungss

ssprungss New Member

Hi,
    I picked up a baby Super Ghost 3 days ago, and I am concerned about it's behavior. It looks beautiful, no mites, shiny eyes, healthy size. However, I feel as if there are some neurological issues present. First, he/she is very inactive unless being handled. Second, when I put snake on flat surface, it seems as if there are issues with it's back half. It doesn't seem to get anywhere, just moves it's front half back and forth. Third, when I wake it up to be handled, it is "twitchy" with fast weird movements.

I do not usually get snakes from pet stores, but this one was purchased from one. I did not like the housing and feeding methods going on at store, so I am hoping that snake is just traumatized from the experience there and trying to recover, rather than IBD, which is what I fear is going on, although I've never heard of it manifesting symptoms in such a baby snake. I have 5 other snakes, and none of them have ever acted this way. The good news is that the snake did eat two large pinky mice, live. I attempted to feed it in separate feeding compartment like I do my others, but no luck. I put it back in it's new enclosure with the two pinkies, and covered it, and it was about 30 seconds until I heard tell-tale squeak of a snake eating. The pet store was feeding 5 babies 5 pinkies, all at the same time, so I am not convinced that it ate any while there.

I am hoping that this is the mellowest snake on the planet, but my experience makes me suspect IBD, internal parasite, or some sort of trauma. I have an appointment with my vet tomorrow for a blood test, but am looking for any advice,ideas, or suggestions before then.

Thanks in advance,
    Sara

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I suggest leaving him alone for a week to settle in, no handling. He could be stressed out from the move. Can you give a rundown of the setup? Temps, humidity and how are you measuring them?

3. ssprungss

ssprungss New Member

I agree on the no handling. Another issue of concern is that the snake does not make any attempt to hide. It is temporarily being housed in a 20L with screen top, which is keep 3/4 covered to retain moisture. The other 1/4 has a 60w basking lamp. This is until it gets bigger, it is very small, maybe 18" and about the thickness of a roll of pennies at it's thickest. I use an UTH on the warm side of tank, with a hide on top, half on and half off of UTH. The hide is lined with sphagnum moss, which I mist about 4 times a day. The temp is 90-95 on the basking side. The cool side also has a hide, was lined with moss, but I felt that maybe snake didn't use hide because of moss, so I took it out. The middle of tank has a large water dish. The ambient temp is 82-85. The rest of the tank is lined with paper towel. I mist the tank 3 times a day. I measure temp with a temp gun, and humidity gauge is inside tank, and humidity is an average of 50%.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I would opt for multiple hides, one on the warm end and one on the cool end. They should be small hide so he can feel more secure :). He also may not realize that he has a hide.

5. ssprungss

ssprungss New Member

He does have two, one on each side. I think you are right, though, he has never had one before so he may not understand how to hide at all. He lays on top of them. :) The shop I got him from had a bunch of babies in a 10 gallon with nothing but a water dish and no hides. I kept seeing him (or her) weekly when I would go there for feeders for my others. Long story short, snake was the last one there on Saturday because no one wanted her or him beccause they thought there was somethig weird about him and 'he was ugly because he had no red' so I figured, screw it. I have everything I need, and at least I can provide a good home. Anyway she's beautiful, hopefully these issues will work themselves out. I will let you know what the vet says.

6. ssprungss

ssprungss New Member

He does have two, one on each side. I think you are right, though, he has never had one before so he may not understand how to hide at all. He lays on top of them. :) The shop I got him from had a bunch of babies in a 10 gallon with nothing but a water dish and no hides. I kept seeing him (or her) weekly when I would go there for feeders for my others. Long story short, snake was the last one there on Saturday because no one wanted her or him beccause they thought there was somethig weird about him and 'he was ugly because he had no red' so I figured, screw it. I have everything I need, and at least I can provide a good home. Anyway she's beautiful, hopefully these issues will work themselves out. I will let you know what the vet says.