This Disappears When Logged In

OCD with Rodents, Am I the Only One?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by JoeyG, Mar 27, 2014.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Well I have issues with rodents and can't stand the smell. After I feed (specially mice) I keep smelling them everywhere. I spray Lysol like crazy and wipe all door knobs and anything I touch outside of room with clorox wipes. I wash my hands at least 5-6 times and this is after using a ton of disinfectant during the feedings. Does anyone else have issues or is it me with ocd lol!

2. Knox

Knox Elite Member

That's why I order from Mice Direct. I tried breeding once. It lasted about a week. And that was with 5 mice...

3. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

You are not the only one, Joey...

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I totally feel ya brother.

My old girl lucy will only take her rat if its super hot, but it has to be dry as well. So I have to heat it up with either a heat lamp or a hairdryer. The smell gets EVERYWHERE and I swear it follows me around afterwords

5. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I misread the original post - my bad. I am on Benadryl and in a fog... I thought you were talking about mice that you were breeding. :(

I am on fuzzies and weanlings right now, so mine don't smell up the room yet.

6. JoeyG

Babies don't smell too bad but adults are horrible!!!! Rats not as much either, but I'm sooooo paranoid about catching some sickness from them lol!

7. EriksExotics

You know what smells worse than rats and mice? Rabbits. -_- Duma, my big girl, will not eat anything but F/T rabbits! I don't have anything big enough or strong enough to hold a 3 LB rabbit with so I have to pick them up and toss them in her cage... Really gross. I get wacky and just clean everything for the rest of the day... Just grosses me out!

The worst part is that my pregnant BCI's cage smells icky and I can't even really clean it without her biting the poo out of me or just stressing her out super bad... Oh well, ETA is less than 10 days so I will definitely be doing some cleaning asap

8. JoeyG

Rabbits! Didn't know that, medium rats is as big as I'll get :) you know we're expecting tons of pics of the birth. Times I think I should do something that eats salads or something like that lol

9. EriksExotics

But all the good ones eat dead things! :/ Trust me.. You will not be able to find the end of birth + baby pictures.. Thinking about plopping a camera and a camcorder in her cage on her due date to catch the action without being in her face (preferably putting the camera and camcorder in something "birth goo proof"? lol) I am going to PM you some current pics of the mom in a moment!

Rabbits are a pain, man.. They're expensive as poo and are grossies lol To get Duma to eat I need to serve her meal on a silver platter...

10. EriksExotics

Don't get a Boa then! One Boa turns into two and two turns into six! lol You'll get the Boa Fever

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Tortoises are awesome but I much prefer feeding bugs then feeding salads. There is so much time and efforts needed in making salads and its rather expensive. Much easier to just scoop some worms in a bowl and chuck them at tai.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That sums up how I feel about my pets, lol.

On that note, I have thought about breeding rabbit, because it might actually be cheaper than buying them at a few dollars a head. Then again, my big girl is content with guinea pigs, which are substantially cheaper. She takes the biggest size available though, so if she continues growing, I won't have any option but to switch.

13. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Rabbits are actually the only snake feeder I could stand to breed. Rabbits are cool. Too bad I dont have anything currently that will ever need them.

Girlfriend does love retics tho....

14. JoeyG

Eric- got the pic, she looks ready to burst!

I'll never have anything big enough for rabbits but them I can stand. Mice and rats are another thing ;-)

15. EriksExotics

Yup! She's definitely getting big!