This Disappears When Logged In

Num Num Nummm

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by PMC, Oct 10, 2012.

1. PMC

PMC Well-Known Member

My little red tail still has to hunt for the nose for a few minutes before he gets it lined up just right and swallows. The second mouse he took when he first got home he actually swallowed Backwards- and had me watching him like a hawk for any signs of distress after that craziness. He is about a year old now and still needs practice! He about tied himself in a knot yesterday! ha ha ha
    Have you ever had a young snake that took its time figuring this out? I am enjoying giggling at him nearly every feeding :)

DSC05108.jpg DSC05119.jpg DSC05121.jpg DSC05123.jpg DSC05125.jpg DSC05127.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I had one that took forever to eat. Couple of times he tried sideway (didn't work). The ones I have now don't seem to mess around anymore though. Specially my females, it seems they inhale their food :) What do you feed your redtail? After much coversation and some research I move everyone over to rats as soon as I can. They seem to be better from what everyone of the breeders I know and trust have told me. Their snakes just do better for some reason, plus all snakes will end up with them as they get larger.

3. Majora

Majora Elite Member

My corn snake is over a year old and he does the same thing. First he has to pretend to kill it by constricting, and then he just kind of moves all over it biting it in different places until he figures out where he can start eating from. He takes forever, but it's cute. He's swallowed it backwards twice so far and hasn't seemed to have any problem.

4. PMC

PMC Well-Known Member

They currently get adult mice, and I admit that I like the convenience of running over to Petsmart to pick up 4 at time. But I am ordering them rats from Rodents on the Road in two weeks. I found out I can go and pick up a small order from their facility in Hawthorne, about 45min-hour from me. That way I don't pay shipping. :)
    They are really good eaters so I am hoping they will make the change without giving me any trouble. I plan on scenting the rats with a mouse the first couple of times too. I'll just start making the trip down their every few months, and that will save me quit a bit... then I can buy another cage... ha ha ha

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

To be honest I wouldn't really worry about it. Boas are pretty much garbage disposals when they are hungry!

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I agree with Merlin! I just got my mouse order in last week. The supplier I used subbed in rats(with my permission), he had a few large mouse orders ahead of mine. I thawed one for my Boa, she was a bit unsure about it at first then realized it was supper!

Beautiful boa btw! I love them :) I can't wait until mine is big, but I know i'll miss her tiny :)

7. Ninjakittyz

Ninjakittyz New Member

Bobbitt, my pastel bp, was doing it wrong the other week...

IMG_20121015_114451.jpg

She's only about 9m old so she's still learning.