This Disappears When Logged In

Not Supporting a Cycling Young Female

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Rakoladycz, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

This is a forewarning to anyone who has young female monitors.

So this is the first time I am showing pictures of Levicy's deficiency she developed last summer. Many of you who were around know I was away for work for several months. Prior to this I was really amped and was posting pictures of Levicy hopeful she was gravid or cycling. I asked that she feed at least 3 of the 5 days I would be away each week. She never really said yes but she knew my wishes. :/

After the job was all said and done my wife had fed them 3 times.... in like 2 and a half months. I knew she wasn't feeding them as she told me she didn't and I tried to compensate on the weekends with food overloads I knew would last a day or two after.

Long story short in summer of '12 Levicy got a sway in her back and my efforts weren't enough.
    Whether it is from not receiving enough food/ me not lowering the temps or not I am not positive but it is what my gut tells me and the time like correlates.

It normally doesn't look as obvious but my wife is in the enclosure and she is tense really showing the deformation.

DSC01888.jpg

DSC01890.jpg

Now I have a question. Does this make her not worthy of breeding? It doesn't seem to debilitate her in anyway and has not progressed since. I have gotten a hold of two people with Rudi projects asking if they are interested in her, one I just shared these pictures with as well.

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Randy, so in effect it was the same/similar problem with them both? Has she been to see a vet (xrays etc), and if yes, what`s the diagnosis?
    If the monitor is now in good health apart from the spinal deformity, why should she not be worthy of breeding?

3. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I suppose it could have been the problem with them both.
    I wouldn't have thought so though as they both gained in length at a consistent rate. Weekend feedings consisted 90% rodent at this time because I wasn't able to feed as often.

Lestat's X-rays MBD was not present and the symptoms different, Dr. completely dismissed the idea.
    I knew that MBD was her issue. Lestat I suspect may have had issues prior. If you remember me posting on V.net LizardHeadMike mentioned maybe there was something wrong as he wouldn't correctly court my female. From that time I questioned Lestat as not right. Nothing perked that again until I first mentioned he wasn't using an arm right.

She has not been to a vet, for the same reasons it took so long to get Lestat there, and by that time the deformity no longer appeared to be advancing and Lestat was priority. Levicy another day.

Ignorant on my part but I didn't believe that their issue were/would have been related.

House priorities have taken over since the purchase and the reptile hobby has really been on the back burner sadly. I truly should get her in, but I figure it is to tell me what I already know.

To give everyone an idea of how much I was feeding my monitors on the weekends I would get home Friday evenings and feed them both until they left my presence and went into hiding. I would then fill the feeding tray with with 20+ adult discoids(2+ inch roaches). Over the weekend Once I notice all roaches gone I fill it up again. On Sunday night/Monday morning I would throw 15-20 mice hoppers in there and then pray they got fed again by next Friday.

The reason I ask if she would be worthy is if the deformity could potentially make it where she can't lay... then again the only way anyone would be able to tell that is X Ray....

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, xrays are the only way you`ll know whether she`s fit to breed or even become gravid and physically deposit eggs, which I thought she might have done before now, judging by her size.
    I think too much has been made about their abilities to self-heal, if they were that good, they wouldn`t be dying in their thousands. I mention this because I`ve heard on more than one occasion they even mend broken bones within 24 hours, and though the "advisor" is one of the worlds most successful breeders, that`s total garbage, of course they can`t!?
    I hope you do decide to take her to a vet for xrays soon, she deserves the chance of a long, healthy and productive life.