This Disappears When Logged In

Not Even Sure What To Title This

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by KelloggCornsnakes, Jun 24, 2015.

1. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

So, Kellogg has been hiding in his moss hide for the past 3 days. I fed him tonight, and since he doesn't really fit in his feeding box anymore, he was climbing on the sides and I had to feed him from there. after he started eating he started rattling his tail, which he had never done before. He coiled around the mouse at first, and since he was on the side, he fell on the floor (the box is on the floor, it wasn't high at all). I lifted the mouse up a little bit with the tweezers so he wouldn't eat the carpet, and he rattled again.

Why is he so grumpy? :c

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

He is grumpy because you are bugging him while he is eating :) Why not just feed him in his enclosure? So much easier and way less stress on your little guy. I feed all mine in their enclosures and all 30 of my snakes are friendly and don't see me as food.

3. KelloggCornsnakes

I would feed him in his enclosure, but what about eating substrate?

4. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

What are you using for substrate? After I thaw my rodents I roll the up in a paper towel to dry them off so little to no aspen sticks to them.

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

If you are worried about him eating substrate you can put his mouse on a paper towel. I have had snakes swallow mouth fulls of aspen or eco earth and it passes through fine.

6. KelloggCornsnakes

I can put s paper towel under it, yeah. I'm using cypress mulch for substrate.

Back again. My main question is why is he hiding so much? He's due for a shed soon, but he's not getting in blue yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Babies are food for a lot of animals in the wild, so if they find a good hiding spot they are less likely to become an easy meal. Once he gets us to you and realizes you are not going to eat him he will get bolder.

8. KelloggCornsnakes

We've had him for about a year and a half now, he's never hidden from me before.

Asked my friend who has 3 snakes and knows more about them than I do now, and she said her snake did the same thing, and that it was just a phase. Could that be the same thing for Kellogg?

I took him out of his hide tonight. He was acting normal, he drank some water and was exploring. He still seems sort of cautious around me though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

Sometimes they just go through moods, too. Like your friend said, a phase. Mine decided to try and eat my hand the other day but it usually super docile. They're odd. I just leave them alone for a week or so and try again.

10. lisas

lisas Elite Member

Mine can stay still in a hide for days then become active and crawl around for hours! I think this is completely normal.

11. KelloggCornsnakes

If it is just a phase, he's been hiding for almost 2 weeks now.

12. lisas

lisas Elite Member

Mine has been inactive for long periods, but I take her out quite a bit so that gets her active. If I physically didn't take her out, I think she would at times be in her hide for weeks.
    For feeding, I learned on here to feed in the tank and its been so much less stressful for my snake. She used to shake her tail / become aggressive when I took her out of the feed box and put her back in her tank - mainly tail rattling.

13. KelloggCornsnakes

I'll take him out more if he doesn't come out on his own soon; I checked on him last night and he was starting to get dull-colored, so he's going to shed soon.

14. CrazySnakeLady

Are you sure he isn't crawling around at night? I almost never see my corn snake expect at night.

15. KelloggCornsnakes

Pretty sure. I've checked on him a couple times at night.

16. CrazySnakeLady

Then maybe it is just shed. I would watch him after he sheds to see if that changes and make sure that your husbandry is correct. It could be a combo of things (feeeding mishap, temperatures getting hotter, shed, etc.). Let us know what happens.

17. KelloggCornsnakes

It's probably shedding, but also the the hotter temps. It gets in the 100s here, usually even around 110, and his basking spot is around 90 now, so if is too hot. It has a dimmer though, so I'll fix it when we get back :eek:

CrazySnakeLady likes this.
  18. KelloggCornsnakes

Would removing that hide help make him come out or would it just stress him out?

19. CrazySnakeLady

That would just stress him out. Now he has no protection from the "big scary" humans. I think what is happening is shed. My corn snake takes foreeeeeever to shed! And he stays in his humid hide almost constantly, won't even eat.

20. KelloggCornsnakes

That's what I'm thinking. He's still kinda dull so hopefully he'll be normal once he sheds.