This Disappears When Logged In

Not Eating

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by Josh, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I agree, although if I buy a jumbo rat it usually has a body length of at least 9 or 10 inches, so a rabbit twice that size would be quite large! Photos definitely required!! :confused:

2. Josh

Josh Elite Member

The rabbits are the size of the jumbos that they have been getting in at the local pet stores. I didn't mean to cause such a fuss; it is just that when I posted that I was having a bad day and completely forgot that this site was viewable all over the place and not just around here. For the size of the rabbits they are a little bit smaller than the common cotton tail rabbit and as far as digesting them, she deficates in between each feeding. And as far as how big I think she should be I know she is small for her age considering she was fed 1 pinky mouse every other week for three months by her previous owner. She is over a year now and only seven foot even my vet said she is a few feet behind.
    P.S. I am not stupid when it comes to reptiles trust me. and I apologize for any ruckus I may have caused.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You haven`t caused anyone any problems, we`re all a little confused about the siize of prey items you`ve been feeding! There`s no length the animal "should" be, perhaps because of the previous owner not feeding properly, the animal may be on the small side, that doesn`t mean you should simply give as much food as possible to try and " catch up" so to speak! Can you put a photo of the snake and the rabbit up, just to give some idea of the size of each....Thanks! ( I`m sure you thought you were doing what`s best,) but overfeeding is as bad as underfeeding!

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

often, snakes who were underfed are a little stunted. Overfeeding her can actually be detrimental to their health (it's called power-feeding, and in severe cases, it can reduce the animals lifespan by 80%!)

As long as she is a healthy weight for her size (not her age) regular weekly or bi-weekly feedings should be fine, of an appropriately sized item.

As we stated, and you probably already know, it's not unusual for a snake to go off their feed. Just wait a week, and try again. I'm sure she'll be fine :)

5. Josh

Josh Elite Member

as far as pics go I will get them up I just have to get more rabits I just ordered some more so they should be here shortly and the only reason I increased her food like I did is there is someone on here who said to give her four large rats a week so what would the difference be between four rats and 2 rabitts that are equal to to rats each? that conversation is under the feeding post on here also

6. StiffyG123

StiffyG123 Elite Member

I think that's whats going on here... pic would be nice lol
    I feed rabbits because they are cheaper because live rats are illegal in Alberta, and I have been told that rabbits are healthier than rats.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Why feed live? F/T is the way to go... less danger of a bite to your snake.

8. StiffyG123

StiffyG123 Elite Member

Who said anything about feeding live??? sorry to dissapoiont but I feed F/T...

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I don't know where she got that, lol, though as you guessed, most of us advocate feeding thawed or pre-killed as a matter of safety.

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I think this is where she got "live" from ;)

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Rabbits of appropriate size are a great food item! But someone telling you to give 4 rats weekly, what size rat are we talking? If "jumbo", that`s still way too much! You must allow the snake to fully digest the meal, before offering anything else. Good luck!

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! You did!
    This can be read to imply that you are feeding live rabbits instead of live rats. You have to be careful how you word things sometimes. Written words often lose the inflections that allow them to mean what we think that they should mean.
    You should see how many times I go back and read through my replys to things and realize that what I had written was NOT what I meant to convey!

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Merlin is right. That's EXACTLY what I thought.

14. StiffyG123

StiffyG123 Elite Member

live rats are illegal ie expenxive to import...

15. Josh

Josh Elite Member

the rats he was talking about when he said 4 a week were xxl rats like I said it is in the feeding post I think it might be by mooglebass? I also think he said that is what he was feeding his at the length of 6 feet

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t know anyone who would feed any snake 6 feet long on 4 jumbo-sized rats every week. They couldn`t possibly digest anything like that ammount of food?? I think either "Mooglebass" or you have misunderstood ? ( Was it Mooglebass? ) As I mentioned earlier, snakes have very slow metabolisms...

17. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I have been following this post since the beginning and I went back and read through the feeding thread that Josh mentioned. The gist of the post was- at 6 feet he fed his retic 2(two)xxl rats per week until the retic got to about 8 feet- then he started feeding 3(three) xxl rats per week. At no time is the amount of 4 jumbo rats per week mentioned. I also believe he fed his retic both of these rats at the same time not twice per week or even 2 rats twice per week for a total of 4 rats. I am not taking sides in this, I only want to try to help clarify things a bit.

18. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention- it was Mooglebass who posted that information.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

A rabbit the size of 2 jumbo rats....? Are you saying 2 rabbits a week at that size? That= 4 jumbo rats. :confused:

20. Josh

Josh Elite Member

her food was decreased to one large rabbit a week and she was getting two of them a week now she is down to one. and everything is ok after she ate you can barely tell that she ate anything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.