This Disappears When Logged In

Not Eating

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by Josh, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh

Josh Elite Member

Trina has not been eating for about 3 weeks now and I just tried her with rabbits today which she usually goes crazy for, but today she won't touch them either. I know that retics are supposed to have excellent food responses and she usually does. Any suggestions will help a lot.

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I don't know anything about snakes other than what I've read on here but don't they periodically go off food? Maybe she just isn't hungry or maybe you changed something and she needs to adjust to it before she'll eat?

Anyway, just my 2 cents and I'm sure when the more experienced snake people get on you'll get a ton of good advice

3. reptile_kid

reptile_kid Elite Member

My boa quit eating for 3 months , but I switched her over to frozen and she ate it. I heated my prey item until it was a little hotter than room temperature.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how long have you had the snake, and also, when was the last time she ate , shed, and what length is she?
    Thanks!

5. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

My Roxy is an 8' Boa. She hasn't eaten since Feb 11th but the general agreement is not to worry for another month or so. 3 weeks is not much. I am assuming she's big if she's eating rabbits.

6. Josh

Josh Elite Member

Last time she ate was exactly 24 days ago. She is seven foot and she shed about two weeks ago I'm going to try her again today and see what the reaction is I get from her. I will keep you guys posted.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can I just ask what size rabbits you feed? ( In comparison to a large rat.)
    Thanks!

8. Josh

Josh Elite Member

First off, she finally ate and as for size of rabbits, they are the equivelent of 2 jumbo rats. That is why she gets 2 of them a week.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

My Monitor is 7ft. 4inches long, and doesn`t get that amount of food in a week! Can I ask how long you`ve had this snake? Thanks!

10. Josh

Josh Elite Member

I have had her for just under a year. Before I got her all she was fed was 1 pinkie mouse every 2 weeks so she is a lot smaller than she should be and I know I'm not over feeding her because the rabbits are completely gone by her next feeding time and she is already looking for more.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Is this a joke??? Are you saying you feed a 7ft. retic. python 2 rabbits twice the size of jumbo rats 2x weekly? These are slim snakes, also you can seriously damage internal organs, and cause the death of the animal.....Snakes have a very slow metabolism, there`s no way this animal could digest this ammount of food in a week?? (Quote) "She is a lot smaller than she should be"?? Can you tell me how big you think the animal "should be"??

12. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

Hi mate that does sound like a lot to feed a 7ft snake, maybe just try 1 rabbit per week. Also let the snake poo before feeding it again as it also tells you how often you should feed the snake. Feed after about 2-3days after the poo. This would be easier way to tell. If she does poo out like 1 day after eating you could up size feeding

13. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

The fact that your retic refused food for 24 days is a sign that she might need longer breaks between meals. We don't feed any of our adult snakes every week... And if we tried, they would refuse.
    As mentioned, snakes have a very slow metabolism and to feed too often is to keep it constantly in overdrive... Try feeding the two rabbits every 14-21 days. This would be a more natural feeding rhythm for a snake that size.

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Two large rabbits every 14 days is still way too much! How can you have been feeding that amount every week if the snake hasn`t eaten for almost a month?? My Monitors head will probably be larger than your python`s, there`s no way I would attempt to feed him a large rabbit.....By the way, Varanids have the highest metabolic rates among the reptiles, and have similar abilities to swallow large prey items that snakes do.....

15. teiryklav94

teiryklav94 Well-Known Member

feed her just once a week, or two weeks better. overfeed can lead to fatten up and may make her easily sick and can't adapt well if she has not eaten for long. try doing this but in a periodic method, decrease the food given slowly.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You don`t need to decrease the food given slowly, if you`re seriously feeding 2 large rabbits a week, you need to cut back asap! Can you post a photo of the snake and a rabbit, maybe "jumbo sized" has a different meaning where you are!!
    Thanks!

17. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

Wow. Roxy refused yet another rat today but I don't worry. She's big but I don't even give her that much food. And I try to wait for the poop action before I feed. She usually does that outside when I walk her. I know that sounds silly but it's more her running amok in the yard while I keep her in her boundaries. How much exercise is your snake getting? Just because they are active doesn't mean they're hungry.

18. StiffyG123

StiffyG123 Elite Member

I feed Bindy a rabbit every week but that's because she was sick for 2 months and would'nt eat so we are trying to get her back up to weight.

I agree and think you should post a picture of the rabbit in comparison to Trina, because when I tell people Bindy eats rabbits then they see her they think in crazy but the rabbits I feed her are only as big as her body is and you can barely see a lump when she eats.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi StiffyG123, the size of rabbit you`re feeding is in proportion to the snakes body, which is exactly how it should be done! I doubt very much whether a 7ft. python would even attempt to swallow a rabbit twice the size of a "jumbo" rat, let alone two of that size every week!! Something doesn`t sound right about this whole thing, as far as I`m concerned??
    Twice the size of a jumbo rat would be a full grown rabbit! ( I know there are bigger and smaller breeds.)

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My boa gets the occasional baby rabbit, but it's usually a tad smaller than a jumbo, closer to the size of her large rats.

I wonder if we are all just having a misunderstanding of size, after all, 'Jumbo' does not give a specific size or weight.

Yes, a scale comparison would help us resolve this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.