This Disappears When Logged In

Not Eating

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Fern, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

My new russian tortoise Fern has not eaten anything since I got her. The people said she eats tons but I don't see anything is gone.:confused::confused:

2. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

How long have you had the tort? What are you offering to feed it? Maybe a vet visit is in order, could you post your temps and everything about your set-up?

3. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

Also this may sound like 'Can tortoises eat greasy hamburgers?" but commercial food is not good for tortoises right?

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Maybe you should read the caresheet. I give mine greens. Collared, mustard, kale, Turnip greens,sweet potato,parsnip, ect. I have no idea about a commercial diet. You still need to post about your set up,including your temps.

5. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

my lights are:
    FLuker's 5.5 Clamp-Lamp. Two of those and the light bulbs are one Sun Glo ExoTerra 75 watt tight beam bulb and one Reptile Glo 10.0 UVB Exoterra 26 watt desert terrarium light bulb
    My sun light bulb just exploded so the temp was around 78 ish today but usually it was 87ish and I know that's too low but I built up her little tower so she can get closer to the lamp and I'll be getting a new light bulb this weekend. Her tank is 23"x30" and it's this old plastic tub with repticarpet on the bottom. She has a little box with lots of dirt in it and a water bowl she can submerge in and a rock she can climb out of it with. So far I've put in some carrots and celery and purple lettuce for her to eat but she has not touched since I got her on Wednesday.

6. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

She still is not eating but she ate on Monday but not much. Maybe 4 dandelions. She has not pooped or eaten since then.

7. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Where did you get the flowers? Make sure they don't use pesticides. I buy dandelion leaves from my local grocery store.
    They sure love them!

8. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

Yep I asked my mom and she said that the ones in my yard were fine.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I would stick to dark green leafy veggies and ditch the carrots and celery. Read the care sheet, it has a great diet list. Collards and mustards are a good staple. I can't see a turtle wanting to eat celery, its mostly water.

10. Whatshername

Whatshername Elite Member

Slightly unrelated tidbit... Celery has 5 calories, and it takes more to eat it. If you ate only celery, you'd die of starvation...
    Also, cucumbers have zero calories and so do pickles, but kosher pickles have 5. Kosher pickles are not really kosher(blessed) the only difference is that garlic is used in the pickling process. And kosher salt is just a larger grain size...
    I'm done, lol. But think of all the useless things you just learned :)

11. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

I know. I told my dad that when he was going on a diet. Or my cousin told me and I told him and We thought that if we only ate celery we would turn green first and then srivel up to nothing. Actually my cousin said you loose calories by eating it. :D
    BTW I like learning useless things because I hardly ever learn useful ones.:p:p:D

12. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

Ok. She ate for a little bit and now she is not eating. I don't get it. I give her lots of vegetables and stuff but she is in her box already and it is only 4:30. The basking temp is 86 or 90.

13. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

She is still not eating. The only thing she likes is dandelions.:mad:. I feed her all sorts of stuff but that's all she eats. I'm bringing her to the vet on Saturday but please if anyone has any suggestion...

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

trick her. Grind up dandelions in other food and put some on top.

15. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

What I do is grate some parsnips or sweet potato and place that on top. I make a salad,lol. But mine eats like a little piggy. My basking temp. is 98 degrees. Is she pooping and peeing okay? I soak my greens but I have seen her drink from the water bowl also.
    Get a fecal sample for the vet to check for parasites.
    Good luck.
    You know I never thought to ask, do you have a mercury vapor bulb, do you have the adequate uvb light? Sorry I may have read that but I am sick right now fighting a bad cold (thanks to my daughter,lol)
    :D

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Try kicking your basking temperature up to 95F.

17. schlegelbagel

What else are you offering her to eat besides the dandelions?

18. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

Lots of things. She is not eating anything now. I offered her some grass, beans, spinach stuff, pansies. Today all she ate is one dandelion and she is tucked up in her shells and has been since 3:00 today.

19. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

Oh carrots and carrot tops as well. The person I got her from said I should feed her a whole handful of food but she is eating almost nothing. I'll go give her a bath now.
    She seems to have calmed a little on the bath front. (knock on wood) She is not fighting around in her water anymore. Just sitting there.

20. schlegelbagel

This should be their main diet:
    Mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, endive, radicchio and dandelion.

She is not eating because you are not offering proper foods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.