This Disappears When Logged In

Nose Rubbing Outdoor Enclosure

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Mascot, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Mascot

Mascot New Member

Hi guys,
    I recently finished some outdoor enclosures. Problem is that some pythons are rubbing their noses to a point where they get bruised and have to move back to their old terrarium. Anyone had the same problem? I have tried to put up shade cloth but they still keep going (rubbing) Will they eventually settle down?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

What type of material are you using? Hardware cloth, rubber coated?

3. Mascot

Mascot New Member

I'm using aviary wire mesh.

4. kriminaal

Is that coated wire? Needs to be if it's not.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you talking about chicken wire? That is your problem. Snakes are pretty primitive in their thinking. If they can see thru it, they should be able to go thru it!

6. Mascot

Mascot New Member

Thanks for the replies. I have used this 12mm mesh before, about 10 years ago for a few enclosures without problems. This time, some pythons tried to go through the mesh for a few hours, than settled down and are now doing fine. But, two of them are very stubborn. Just wondering if these two eventually will settle. Has anyone any experience of this behaviour?
    Thanks

7. kriminaal

I haven't seen this personally but I agree with what Merlin said. Doubtful that they would recognize it as a barrier.

8. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Yeah you need to upgrade to rubber or plastic coated mesh.....

9. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Can't say anything about mesh screen but after I covered all my snakes plexiglass cage doors in newspaper, all of them stopped trying to go through it! No more swollen noses, woo hoo! Maybe they think they can get through like Merlin said