This Disappears When Logged In

Northern Redbelly snake

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by crash_reborn, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crash_reborn

crash_reborn Elite Member

while out in columia virginia this past weekend - ginny and i were tagging along as my father cleaned the horse pasture (bushhogged it) so it was able to be used

ginny and i were intrigued with the number of animals we found!

so many little lizards - so many frogs and toads - even some form of fire red salamander with black flecks on its back

the catch that MOST intrigued us - the one we took home - was a northern redbelly snake (because we are "snake people"- we found it immensly interesting)

the cute lil fellow is about 5 inches long - with a coppertone upper body and a sorta lava colored underbelly - with three white dots circling his neck

he (he is an indefinant article in this case - because i am not sure what gender the snake is) will grow to be nearly a foot in length - and will dine on earthworms

he currently will need waxworms or something of that size because most eathworms are bigger than him!

keeping him will be easy - as we need just mimic the weather conditions outside (as he is from "our area") - and the only thing they really need is stuff to hide under and a water bowl

i handle him a bit -he just kinda wriggles around - until he realizes its hopeless - then he coils my finger - and sits there and stares at me - at times - he will open his mouth a hair (just showing the black of his lower lip - that remains hidden by the upper) - almost as if threatening a bite - its kinda cute

he is proving to be pretty fun - even though he pood on me last night...grrrr

i WOULD put pics up - but hes so small - the digi cam wont really make out more than a "squiggle"

for anyone curious - this is what they look like

[​IMG]

2. jmclemens

jmclemens Active Member

Very nice! What have you named him?

Michelle

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Nice Crash But just an F.Y.I. It is illegal to capture wild animals in the state of Virginia without proper licsensing. We had to go through hoops for our marbled salamander and that was given to us from the herpatologist at the Virginia Zoo (marbled's are endangered here) SO be careful .......but they sure are pretty
    (I'm working on my wildlife rehab liscence now so I can legally obtain specimens from the field. Good luck

4. venus

venus Founding Member

that is very pretty. Thanks.

5. iguanafreak

iguanafreak New Member

they dont really care for earth worms as they do slugs....
    They love the small blak slugs outside underrocks...I keep a red belly mysefl :) ... Just dont try to feed those huge yellow ones...

They also dont need much in its inclosure, a piece of paper towels or two and a water dish will do fine..nothing fancy..make sure you dont put little pieces of bark in there, had a snake eat a piece and chock to death....So just warning you there....You can also keep them in room tempurature..they like it, mine will eat the blak slugs, or the peach ones.. readily.. thats what they live on in the wild..so you can try this!

Good luck with the little feller,

~Crysta

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

what an awesome looking snake! thanks for sharing the pic! beautiful. :)

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Very beautiful snake. Good luck with him!

8. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

That is a really nice looking snake! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.