This Disappears When Logged In

Northern Pine Snake

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by missabrat, Sep 9, 2010.

1. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Hi All,
    "Buddy" is a 6 yr old aprox. 5 ft Northern Pine Snake {Pituophis melanoleucus melanoleucus}, who has been raised since hatching by the man who gave him to me. I was not LOOKING to add another snake to my family, but upon looking at Craigslist, I found Buddy listed as free, I could not pass him up, as I have "sucker" tattooed on my forehead.
    Buddy is seemingly healthy, came with his 75 gal enclosure, all lights, and tons of extras.
    His previous owner listed him as semi-aggressive, but from watching him remove Buddy from the enclosure, I saw a lot of nervousness, which in turn Buddy reacted to by jumping when touched. Upon holding him, I found him to be quite inquisitive, and a bit fresh, as he explored me he climbed to my shoulder and stuck his tongue in my ear...a match made in heaven LOL

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      27.7 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      15.6 KB
      Views:
  2. okiron

okiron Elite Member

Ooo I like his markings.

I know what you mean about having sucker tattooed on you haha. My husband hates Craigslist because of me.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great looking snake, you arn't a sucker, that was a great deal that would be hard to pass up. Not to mention at least he is going to a great home. Glad you got him before someone else did, it could have turned out worse for buddy, who knows who else would have gotten him. Looks like your just looking out for the best interest of the snake.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

That is one cool looking snake and he is in a much better place now with someone who knows how to give him the care he deserves.

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Thanks guys :)
    He is a real cool guy, LOVE the keeled scales! I cannot wait for his acclimation period to be over with, as well as quarantine! I got fresh fecal sample today and will be dropping it at the vets office in the morning, he shows no outward signs of illness, but a fecal puts my mind at rest that he won't be transmitting anything to my other owners :) I also see no sign of mites, which is awesome!

6. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

He's SO gorgeous! Pine snakes are illegal to own/sell in my state, but I'm glad you could get one, and looks like he'll have a great home.

Actually, yesterday I rebuffed someone on craigslist who was giving away her bullsnakes (also illegal to own in my state) who had them listed as northern pines.

7. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Wow, I can not believe you got that snake for free with his setup. Great deal, something almost no herp fanatic could pass up. Anyways, how were the results of the fecal examination?

8. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

his fecal came out fine, no parasites! he is one healthy happy eating machine!

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great news! Sounds like he found a great home, post as many pictures as you wish. He's just gorgeous.

10. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations!!! Buddy is gorgeous, and what a find!!!

11. Catherine

Catherine Member

Sometimes snakes just happen. He needed a home and you were the right person to take him. I am scared to even look on craigs list. I already have a number of rescue/rehomed snakes.

I am glad he is well and settling in. Do post more pictures.