This Disappears When Logged In

Non Toxic Wild Flowers, Central America

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by DwarvenChef, Jan 23, 2012.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

This post is for me to find very spacific plants that I can use in an enclosure (60gal) for my Emerald Swifts to snack on. From my studdies of western fence lizerds over the past 35 years I noticed that these guys will snack on the wild flowers in the spring time. I'm not 100% if they do this as a mistaken ID of food items or if it's something to do with breeding health or color enhancement issues. Anyway I want to observe this behaviour with the Emeralds, and worry about putting in the wrong plants that may get them sick.

I want to study their breeding habbits as close as I can to what they would do in nature and have set up as close as I can a plan to provide year round naturalistic environment for them. Not really into breeding for a supply of babies, as I'll be raising the babies to see how my ideas from observation worked out. Purely curriosity as I probably could never write up a paper that anyone could read :p

I'm sure the local flowers I see the local lizards eat would be fine and may have to go that route, but if anyone has info on this plant information I would love to see it.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Thanks for the link, now I have to brush up on the local wildflowers names lol

4. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

The blooms of many plants are safe, generally toxic compounds are in the roots, stems, leaves and berries. The blooms of most safe plants will be fine. However, there are many that are not safe for humans or other mammals that don't affect reptiles in the same way, or the doses are much smaller and do not cause problems.

Stay away from the nightshade family Solanaceae and the Morning glory family Convolvulaceae just in case. Oleander and other dogbanes are toxic, as are many flowering bulbs. These are just a begining guideline, sticking to "known safe" lists is the wisest course of action. However, the ASPCA lists many plants used for tortoises as toxic so you may want to double check on your sources. That's the problem with the use of common names, as plants sharing a common name but belonging to different species will cause confusion. Here is another good list: Toxic Plants and Flowers. TheTortoiseTable.org.uk is also a good resource to do a quick lookup.

I'm not sure how many of these plants apply to Central America, but I've had lots of success, once identifying a species, using Google to find any toxicity information.

Good luck! :)