This Disappears When Logged In

Nocturnal Lighting?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by obi1970, Feb 6, 2011.

1. obi1970

obi1970 Member

Hi guys

i have a small question about nocturnal lightning ,i am changing my lightning to a led system for all kind of reasons and i use also some red bulbs for night.
    Now that conventional bulb lightning is not more allowed in europe and lots of european company stop making them , i need to step over to other systems so im going directly to a led system.

I know what to get for the daylight but still have some problems for nightlights

should i change to blue led or red led for night and why for what reason? i mean what are the pro vs cons between red and blue

Hope ther is someone who can help me along

thx Ivan

2. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Can I ask why you NEED night lights? or is it just for viewing? I'm sure you know that you would get no usable heat from LED's? That is what makes me think it is a viewing only.

The Blue is supposed to simulate moon lighting and not supposed to be disruptive, the Red is supposed to be a visually low light that is not disturbing. Honestly I think to much of either would be disruptive but if only used when viewing rather than left on throughout the night, I see no harm. I wouldn't recommend them being repeatedly turned on and off through the night as I would think that would be most stressful.

3. obi1970

obi1970 Member

its for viewing only ! (nocturnal treefrogs) its set up now on a 14D/10N hour.

2 last hours of daylight dimmer down and red stay on for 2 more hours after that complete darkness

im using the red light in this way allready many years without any problems, im just curious if i would better putt in blue in the new system , never worked with blue lights before

Thx anyway

4. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

i like using a black light. it's just like moonlight and gives off heat:)

5. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

then again if you must use LED's and can't use a tube fixture, this does not help much.

i tried anyways

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are talking about the "make the posters glow" blacklights, don't use them. They are harmful to the animals eyes.

7. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Elite Member

thanks merlin i didn't know that. ill stop using them

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The problem with those glow lites is that they produce a lot of UV light but don't produce enough visible light to make the animal's pupils react and contract so it burns the eyes.