This Disappears When Logged In

Next Pet?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by trombleymat, Oct 26, 2014.

1. trombleymat

trombleymat Member

I currently own a 2 year old bearded dragon and a one year old Argentine black and white Tegu. I have had experience with green iguanas, corn snakes, and ball pythons. In the next year I will be moving into a bigger house and want another lizard or snake. My fiance is against a snake but im trying to change her mind. I have a few critters in mind, just not sure which one to get. Here is the list, Sailfin Dragon, uromastyx, chuckwalla, frilled lizard, and snakes. I like big and small pets so I can't decide if I want another rbig one or small one. Feeding doesn't bother me. I'm not a big fan of humidity but I'll deal with it.I've researched the lizards and some snakes but at a loss of what to get next. What are your opinions?

2. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

It sounds like you really want a snake, I would just focus on that and see if you can wear her down. What snakes are you interested in?

3. trombleymat

trombleymat Member

I'm not really sure. I perfered the ball python over the corn snake but don't want to get a snake that's too big. Also with that I don't really like the really small snakes all that much.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Sounds like a Ball fits the bill perfectly - not too big, not too small, and a very easy snake to introduce to someone who is reluctant. Such endearing creatures.

5. trombleymat

trombleymat Member

Yeah that's what I figured. There are so many different morphs too so that's a plus. I almost had one but ended up getting my Tegu instead.

6. BCIBoa

BCIBoa Member

Ball pythons are good beginner snakes but they are a little small for me. I would get a Boa constrictor imperator they get between 5-6ft and not as fat as the boa constrictor constrictors. And they are very tame I can grab my boas head and it never lashes out or hisses at me.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, BCC can get big enough to be unmanageable for a single person to contend with. My female is past ten feet now.

8. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Another nice thing about balls is there's always a bunch needing new homes on craigslist, you can often find a good deal and give a snake a good home. Only real downside is sometimes you pick up a "ball python and setup" but the setup is less than appropriate and you need to get an enclosure anyway.

9. trombleymat

trombleymat Member

Hmm, okay. I look up the imperator but I'm not sure if my fiance will approve. I might have to go with a ball python morph for now. Does anyone have any lizard recommendations?

10. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I've never been a fan of ball pythons, regardless of the countless patterns and colors available. My favorite snakes are my Dominican red mountain boas. They'll only grow to 6-7' max, aren't heavy-bodied like ball pythons, same body type as a carpet python. More active than carpets though, don't need temps as high either. Never strike or bite regardless of size.

Lizard, I'd go for a dwarf tegu.

11. trombleymat

trombleymat Member

The Dominican red is gorgeous. I'll deff look into those. Thanks. I already have an Argentine Tegu so I don't think I want another Tegu. At least for now.

12. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

If you go with the DRMB look for one that's already feeding on rodents. New babies usually start on anoles, not a big deal if you're down South, but they're not native to MD.

13. trombleymat

trombleymat Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll deff look into that.