This Disappears When Logged In

Newspaper Substrate

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by smallgrayfox, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I have what's probably another stupid question :eek: . There's no danger that the inks will cause any problems with snakes if you use newspapers as substrate is there? Does anyone think there might be chemical fumes from the ink that could eventually cause respiratory problems? My snakes burrow between the pages and spend long hours completely surrounded by the paper, so I want to ask. Also, the ink rubs off on my skin when I handle newspaper so I want to make sure it's not a problem if it rubs off on the snakes too....

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The black and white inks are soy based and are no danger to your snake. I am not sure about the color pages so I don't use them. If you leave the papers lay for a week or so the ink should be dry enough not to rub off.
    You may also be able to get the newspaper's "end rolls" the part that is left on the spool they use for printing the papers. Contact your newspaper publisher to find out

3. Dawson

Dawson Active Member

You can get blank newsprint at most hobby stores, and at packing material stores (as it is often used to protect glassware). Myself, and I'm sure many other hobbyists, have been using newspaper for decades and I've never had an issue I could attribute to it. Just make sure you swap it if it gets wet or messed on. If getting between layers is an issue, you might want to try another kind of hide box and see if they'll use that instead.

D

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I agree with everything said - newspaper is a safe and very cheap option for substrate and we use it now with most of our snakes. -it makes it even cheaper that parents and grandparents regularly save up their newspapers for us :D

I don't mean to disagree Dawson, but we have found that even with a variety of different hides, the snakes that we have on newspaper often like to hide inbetween layers of the paper rather than in or under their hides. It's just an added bonus in my opinion - one big hide! :p

5. Merlin

Same here! I put a couple of sheets of newspaper down before i put my aspen down. Even with regular hides and the aspen some of the little stinkers will still get under the paper. With some of the larger corns they can really reorganize a cage moving around under there!

6. Bitis Gabonica

LOL and isn't it helpful when the little buggers poo all over the bottom of the enclosure even though you had hoped they might go on the newspaper to make cleaning easier?? :D

7. smallgrayfox

Ours all have several hides and they STILL get under the paper or between the pages. :D Like you said, Bitis, it's one big hide! Mine will not only poo underneath sometimes, but most of the time instead of pooing in the middle of the paper somewhere, they go right on the edge so that it still seeps over onto the glass bottom of the tank. :p

Well, I'm glad to know the ink is safe. Thank you! :)

8. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Blank newsprint is (should be) very cheap. When I was in art school I use to spend a 500 sheet pack of A2 or A1 sizes in a week and that was the cheapest paper I could get.

9. smallgrayfox

I just realized that almost all the pages or our newpaper have at least one or two color photos or ads on them. Should I not use the newspaper at all then?

I think I'll just go back to paper towels :eek:

10. Merlin

I was referring more to the slick finish ad sheets. I still use the regular pages that have a bit of color to them. I just turn the colored part down.

11. Bitis Gabonica

Juliane, you really don't have to worry about newspaper. As Merlin said, I don't think he was referring to the small sections of colour on newspapers. It is perfectly safe for use.. and if you want extra confirmation, just ask one of our 20+ snakes that live on it :p

12. smallgrayfox

Oh, Ok then. I thought you meant any color at all, and I couldn't find any part of our paper that didn't have at least some color photos. I don't use the shiny ads at all. Thank you for the clarification :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.