This Disappears When Logged In

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by akbaby907, May 17, 2014.

1. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

Not sure if this is the right area to be posting, but I'm new to the boa scene and I'm wanting to get information on breeding. I have a young Central American(?) female and I'm hoping to breed her in the future when she comes of age and is in good health, etc. What I'm looking for is any kind of basic information for beginners on how to start, choosing a mate, basics on color morphs, etc.? Thanks!

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Welcome to the site :)

If you have not done so yet have a look at the care sheets. Also let us know how much you already know or you general experience :)

3. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

Well I've got the basic pet snake experience down. This is my first boa, I've had ball pythons and corn snakes in the past. I'm looking to get into breeding as I haven't before and it's something I've always been fascinated with. I know nothing on the subject, and being as my boa is still very young I thought now is the perfect time to gather information. I have read over the care sheets and that's pretty much all that I know right now.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Have you looked into local Herp clubs to find a local breeder or even your local pet shop can be a source of "who is breeding what". Reading up is great and a good first step. Now you need to find others you can contact and witness first hand about breeding these guys. Forums are great resources but it doesn't replace hands on knowledge. We can help to a degree but knowing someone close by and being involved in it will help far more.

6. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

I haven't had much luck finding anybody local, and the pet store doesn't breed anything themselves. I was told they just buy out of state. I'm not in a super remote area, any suggestions for finding a local herp club? I haven't found any online so far.

7. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I was with a group in Anchorage in the 90's, not sure if they are still around. The shop down by the Diamond Center used to have a reasonable reptile section but that was a while ago. The feed store in Eagle River is where I did most of my work through and many of their customers where "do it yourself" types. I sold my KSB's and mice with people I met there.

Not sure where you are in AK and if your outside the Anchorage area you may be out of luck on a local club :p

8. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

I'm close out to Big Lake and Houston, but traveling to Anchorage and Eagle River is no biggie. Do you happen to remember the names? I've never lived in either area so wouldn't really know of any shop or feed stores there.

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

It's been to long sense I lived there, almost 15-17 years, but I know the pet shop in Anchorage was the biggest petshop in town at that time. In Eagle River the feedstore was on the main drive a block or so from Sleeping Dog coffee shop. I know the coffee shop is still in ER but not sure if it's in the same place, it's been a while LOL.

10. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

I'll do some digging around and see what I can find. Thanks so much! It's a pleasant surprise to get information from people that know about my area. :)

11. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Hi there. First thing you need to breed is obviously a mate for your girl! look into color morphs and look into locale and choose whatever you decide you'd like to breed her to. There honestly isn't a lot of thorough breeding guides available for Boa constrictors but it's not rocket science.

I will include a decently thorough guide to help you but more importantly, make sure you get a hold of experienced breeders and most of them won't mind answering questions and helping you out. Talking to someone with real experience can be more helpful than any guides. Use the article below as a basic guide and make sure you ask any questions that you have.

How to Breed Red Tail Boa Constrictors | Red Tail Boa Breeder

12. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

Thanks so much for that link! I'm working on finding local breeders/enthusiasts but Alaska doesn't seem to be very popular for it, or I'm just looking in the wrong places. :p I think right now though I need information on morphs. From my understanding, locale is just the location they were originally from and breeding only the same locale? If so, I'm not too interested in that as my female is just a random rescue from the local pet store and who knows where they got her from. :p I've been trying to find a simple and condensed explanation on the morphs, like defining features, simple description on what causes the morph, how pairings cause the different morphs, just "beginner" stuff like that. :)