This Disappears When Logged In

New York, CNY

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by SteveWD, Oct 12, 2010.

1. SteveWD

SteveWD Elite Member

i love the reptile i have and i want to help out other reptiles. if anyone in the area has a animal they cannot take care of anymore for any reason. let me know im willing to do my research on whatever reptile is in need of a home. it would be best if cage and everything came with so i didnt have to drop alot of money right of the bat. (just in case of vet trip right of the get go)

ive done alot of research on bearded dragons already. and ive looked and read about alot of different herps.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

To be quite honest you are just starting out and learning about what you have. This is NOT the time to try to turn youreself into a rescue. You have no idea what you would be setting yourself up for. As you say you don't have much money and such an endeavor will take quite a lot of it!

3. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I second what Merlin said, I have worked with a reptile rescue for the last two years here in upstate NY, and know a few other rescue groups in the area, it is not an easy undertaking, the cost is outrageous, as most rescues come in having severe nutrition and health issues. Vet bills for reptiles are expensive, not to mention the heating, lighting, caging and feeding expense. A vet visit is always needed when taking in rescues or new animals, thats the only way to insure they are healthy and parasite free.
    Most often when someone turns over an animal with the cage, the cage is no where near the correct size for the animal, we had a 3ft Savannah monitor come in with his enclosure, which was a 40 gal fish tank, the poor guy couldn't move in the tank! Or the Mali Uromastyx that came in with chemical burns and a massive burn across his back that was from his heat lamp falling on him.
    I no longer work with the rescue, instead help out with animals that come in via the local UHA chapter.(Upstate Herpetological Association)

4. SteveWD

SteveWD Elite Member

its not like im gonan take in a **** ton of herps. just maybe one or two. there probly isnt anyone even in the area just wanted to give people opions

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Hi Steve,
    There are people here that may be in our area, if I remember correctly your in Oswego area? I am in Auburn, and I know a few members who haven't posted in a while are in the Syracuse area. I think it is great that you want to help herps, the best way to start is by doing your research on a wide variety of reptiles before they come into your life. That way if someone drops one in your lap, you already have the knowledge to care for them.

6. SteveWD

SteveWD Elite Member

i do read about a bunch of different herps. i find it fun to learn about all of the different herps. (not the biggest fan of frogs and turtles)

7. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

LOL be careful what you say, there are some huge froggy and turtle lovers here :p

The next time we have a UHA meeting you should come, you would meet a lot of long time herp parents with tons of great information.

8. SteveWD

SteveWD Elite Member

where are they located? LOL i know there are alot of frog and turtle lovers on here. turtles just dont do enough for me :) frogs are weird textured

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

We hold meetings at Beaver Lake Nature center. We are currently trying to get the group to be more active, we just held the annual openhouse, which was a great success.

10. SteveWD

SteveWD Elite Member

its not even an hour away. let me know the next time its is going on i would like to go. it sounds like a lot of fun

11. SteveWD

SteveWD Elite Member

i have a 4 feet wide 2 feet deep 2 feet high. glass tank. ready for a little friend :) (if i dont find anything in need by x-mas im gonna get a baby beardie)

12. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

try craigslist. when i was looking for a bigger tank for the beardie i just took in i saw tons of people trying to re-home their dragons; its kinda sad. just to give you a reference, i have already dropped about 150 in a week buying new lights and a new cage and furniture. thats not including the food for him. most herps that people are trying to give away will need a "home make over"; just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. good luck :)