This Disappears When Logged In

New White's Tree Frogs

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by Krittergal, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Krittergal

Krittergal Member

I just got two baby White's frogs at an expo today and the person I bought them from told me to get a tank that is 17"x14"x8". I am aware that I'll be needing a larger tank in about a year but now I'm concerned that it's too small for the babies (they're about 1 1/2" long). They also suggested 'forest floor' as a substrate and an under tank heater with no lamp. Does this sound correct?

2. Frogsrule

Frogsrule Active Member

Baby white's will do fine in a tank no smaller than 12x12x18. When they grow up you will need an 18x18x24. 1/2 inches is more juvenile than baby. The setup for the first 30 days after acquiring them should be a quarantine/observation tank with unprinted moist paper towels as substrate to monitor poop. I light is rather beneficial as frogs need a 12 hour photoperiod. An under the tank mat is only necessary if the temps fall below 70 during the day. Keep the water below the chin as well. Good luck!

3. Poison

Poison Elite Member

For babies I use simple 10 gallons. However as mentioned, at that size they are no longer babies. Your frogs will need a larger cage in less than a year. I've had whites that reached adult size in less than a year. I would go with the 18x18x24 right now. Heat pads are crap when it comes to tree frogs. They don't now raise ambient temps. Use a low wattage light bulb if your temps are to low.

4. Krittergal

Krittergal Member

Thanks so much for the suggestions. If I keep the current tank until the next expo in November, how low of a wattage would you recommend for a heat lamp? I was also concerned that the heat lamp would dry out their enclosure too much. Is it possible for a frog's tank to be too humid?

5. Frogsrule

Frogsrule Active Member

The humidity should be between 30-50 percent. If it goes over they will be fine for a little while but try and keep it down. My heat light is 50 watts but the tank is 18x18x18. Working on getting the larger size. You should be fine with a 25 watt though for your tank.

6. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Hi, your frogs will need a larger enclosure before November. Whites grow very fast when kept right.

30-50 is very low for humidity. 60% is needed at the very least. I keep mine from 60-75%. Heat bulbs do indeed dry out the air which is why I suggest using low wattage ones. I use 40watt house bulbs. Whites also love a basking spot of around 85F so raising a thick log closer the the bulb will help with this.

7. Krittergal

Krittergal Member

Thank you so much for your help. I'm frustrated that the people at the expo led me to believe that the tank I got would be "perfect" for at least a year and that no additional heat would be needed. I'm so glad to have the valuable resource of this site!
    What would be the ideal size of a tank for right now? If I get a large tank do I need to worry about them not being able to find their food?

8. Frogsrule

Frogsrule Active Member

I'm not surprised. They just wanted you to buy the frog. They always seem to find the crickets no matter where they hide. You can try tong training them to eat from rounded feeding tongs. Again the QT type setup is helpful and will also leave space for them to find the crickets.

9. Krittergal

Krittergal Member

Sorry but what's a QT type setup?

10. Frogsrule

Frogsrule Active Member

Paper towels as substrate to monitor poop. Only the simple things in the tank. A hide, maybe one hanging fake plant and a water dish. This will make it easier to monitor feeding as well.

11. Krittergal

Krittergal Member

Thanks! They're going to be in a classroom that can get cold at night in the winter (I'm guessing around 50 degrees). Should I also get a nighttime bulb or is it helpful for them to have the temperature fluctuation during the day? I also have that under tank heater, could that help when it cools down?