This Disappears When Logged In

New Western Hognose

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Cid, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cid

Cid Elite Member

Hiya, I just adopted a western hognose from a family that was moving and could not take the snake. I received the entire enclosure, yet made some changes. I put in sand substrate to try and imitate their natural habitat (I usually feed my snakes in a separate container so risk of compaction is virtually gone) I have two hides, one I need to do better with and the other seems fine. water bowl, I like having plants in there so theres a plant, also in the back corner, to half of the middle tank I also put in douglas fir, so he could have some extra burrowing space on top of the sand. he also is in a 10 gal tank. I can't afford it right now, but eventually I'll get a set of thermometers too. hopefully this is enough for now

now there are some questions I do have: is that set up good enough for now? (I know theres always room for improvement later on)

the former owners found him during one of their family walks, and have had him or her =( for a year and he is less than a foot long. he told me that due to other obligations and pets, the snake was neglected from time to time. is that a normal size for this type of snake at over a year and some months?

I understand that I only need to feed him once a week or so till he gets bigger, will that change? or can I keep him on a feeding schedule as with by ball pythons?

any other recomendations?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You can get the combo temp/hygrometers at wal mart, home depot, lowes for $7-15 (I got mine at lowes for $15) You really need one to make sure temps and humidity are good.

4. Cid

Cid Elite Member

I looked for them. ive seen the digital therm. ones at the petstores, but never a combo and never anything that cheap in the stores out here in denver. I'll keep looking as they are on the top of my list

5. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

look in the garden section of lowes and in the lighting area of wal mart and home depot. I'm sure there is somewhere in denver that has them cheap.

6. Cid

Cid Elite Member

itll probably be home depot lowes or target. the walmarts out here are so huge I get dizzy just being in them:p

oh yeah, my hognose (allele) ate two fuzzies today. which is better than he/she has been eating while in the ownership of his last family. went up right behind the mouse and practically started slobbering all over them, then he ate the two and dissapeared

7. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

It's normal size for a younger female, they grow fairly slow compared to the males that normally put on size about twice as fast. Really a 10 gal tank will last you a good time, even single males don't need much more than that as a adult. Though some females can grow to about 3'. It's good to hear that you hognose is eating, but don't be surprised if it stops for a long time before eating again, it's really not that uncommon.

8. David McConley

Reading this thread has caused me to break down and add another snake to my already seemingly unending list of "I wants". Thanks a lot guys! ;) I wonder if there are any old airplane hangars nearby that I can rent cheaply so I can house all of these animals (and myself)? I think I will need one if I can't convince my wife that we NEED these animals.

9. Cid

Cid Elite Member

I know how you feel david, I wasn't planning on getting another snake, but I saw that he was being given away for free on craigs list and that alone was worth the 30 miles drive and bad traffic to get him =)

10. David McConley

You are lucky, I have never seen a free snake on Craigslist for NC! Everyone wants to do a "rehoming" fee of anywhere from $70-$300, since "I got worked over the coals and paid too much, I am going to try to make my money back, by selloing it to some sucker" -not my words, just what I think most folks think. I could be wrong. Anyway it is just easier for me to go to a reptile show and get what I want since it is cheaper than a pet store. I am going to the show this weekend in Columbia SC, we'll see what my Father's day gift is.

11. Cid

Cid Elite Member

good luck with it. i want to see mine play dead

12. David McConley

Most captive bred hog-nose snakes(not all though) rarely play dead once they are established with a permanent owner. I have held Western hog-noses before and they were very curious and interested in exploring. The wild caught ones however, love to "musk" you and then play dead(all this after they have tried to bluff you by flattening out and doing mock strikes). I do love them, the little dears. If yours does play dead, take pics, I love how convincing they are.

13. Cid

Cid Elite Member

I know mine was wild caught, but was in captivity for about a year. now I know you can take the snake of the the wild but not the wild out of the snake but after a hissing fit and lol lame attempts at striking she gives up and lets me hold her (this is if she is top side and not under the sand or douglas fir mix I have in the tank) I like her a lot cause she doesn't move around too much. either she likes being held or is scared enough to not want to move (probably number 2)

edit: now i have to deal with my **** mice. they annihilated the small paper towel roll in their tub and it ended up draining everything from the water bowl. i swear i sometimes just feel like giving my snakes a feeding frenzy and then buying a small lizard to put in there instead

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Hognose, (esp. wild ones) will often "false strike" or lunge forward as if striking, without actually opening their mouths.

Get one of those water bottle thingies for the mouse - they can't drain those. They will chew up anything you put in the tub with them. Rodents have ever-growing teeth, and must chew to keep them from getting overgrown. provide a steady supply of cardboard, wood, and other chewable things.

15. Cid

Cid Elite Member

I have toilet paper rolls, a wood house/hide, wood chips, and a water bottle. but when ether the substrate or something absorbent touches it the water drains out.

I like how they don't open their mouths when striking, that was one of the other smaller reasons why i was cool with getting the snake.

16. David McConley

If you like that- check out Mangrove snakes(Boiga dendrophila), they seldom strike at all but when they get surprised, usually they will pull their heads back and open their mouths and warn you. If you persist in bothering them they bite, they are rear fanged and mildly venomous but they have about the same toxicity of venom that a hog-nosed snake has. Mine bit me about 2-3 weeks ago and drew blood but I was not envenomated he let go and went about his business, and has been well behaved ever since. Pics of him and my other animals are in my profile if you want to see them.

17. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

David's right Mangrove snakes are another great rear fanged snake. I've never had one of my Hognoses play dead, but I do get the rattle snake impression a lot, Hiss, coil, tail in the air. Everything they can do to look more dangerous then they are.

18. David McConley

This past October, I had someone bring me a snake that they thought was a "COPPERHEAD or a COBRA" of all things, and it turns out it was an Eastern hog-nose. I picked it up and it promptly played dead-no flattening out,no hissing, no mock strikes AND no musking - just keeled over with it's little tongue hanging out. The guy almost spazzed out thinking I had killed it. I told him just relax for a couple of minutes, sure enough he pulled his tongue in and flipped onto his stomach and tried to get away. He asked me if I wanted to buy it and I told him thanks but no as I don't buy native caught snakes but I told him how to keep it so he decided to try keeping him.

19. Cid

Cid Elite Member

the rattler impression is very cool. I held him for about an hour earlier, and after trying to egt away he finaly let me hold her, and after a while just started slithering around my han not giving me an ounce of trouble

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.