This Disappears When Logged In

New viv construction!!

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by autograf323, May 24, 2010.

1. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

I have just started to construct this new dual vivarium for my two water dragons I am going to try to post pictures to show the construction. My first picture is of the boxes starting to take form but my girls wanted to stand in it.[​IMG]

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats going to be a nice set of enclosures!
    And if push comes to shove you could always let the dragons free roam and house the kids in there!;)

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Great you`re showing this in two separate threads, twice the ammount of praise! (Good thinking). (Well done again).

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, that's going to be real nice. I also agree with Merlin, dragons roam free and kids stay in there. Why didn't I think of that!;)

5. Merlin

Maybe because they arrest you for things like that!:D

6. monkeytechahoo

monkeytechahoo Elite Member

Nice beginnings. Lots of room to play in.

I would think, having 2 kids myself, that as long as you let the kids out for school that they do have enough room in there to switch it to a kid viv. :D I can see a hammock for a bed for each of them....:p

7. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

:eek: They DO?!?!?! - oops! I'll go let Morgan out now...:rolleyes:

Beautiful start on what is sure to be an amazing project. Can't wait to see the work in progress.

For an uneducated Water Dragon person -- is that size enclosure (1/2 of what you have for one) necessary for a CWD? Or are you doing what we all do and make it a palace to spoil them?

8. komodoking

komodoking Active Member

WOW, keep the pics coming, this is going to be great

9. MMWC

MMWC Elite Member

It looks like a good start. cant wait to see it complete.

10. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

It should be enough room if it was up to me they would get the whole room. I am starting on the rest of the frame work and the bottom of the pool also going to do some pipimg for the pool. I will post pics this weekend. Thanks for the great comments.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Wanna build a cage for my CWD too? lol. Yours are going to be so spoiled! I can't wait to see how this goes!

12. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

I wanted to ask if you need to put that insulation on the walls? I'm talking about that pink or blue stuff if you should put it do I need to seal the wood or can I seal the grout that I'm going to use?

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t know the insulation you`re talking about, and are you covering the inside with something else, you mention grout (tiles etc)?

14. Merlin

Stefan I beleive he is referring to the styrofoam sheet insultion.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You can insulate - and in your climate it wouldn't hurt a bit, and could make it more affordable to heat the cage.

Because your CWD have a high-humidity environment, sealing of the wood is advised - water can get into the darnedest places, and in confined places, could cause a mold problem. A good layer of poly should prevent that problem.

16. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

I did mean that foam board I'm going to use it I guess it can't hurt.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks to Merlin, now I understand, yes, insulating can only be a good thing, it should mean lower wattage heat bulbs, and for the size of those enclosures, a good saving on electricity usage.

18. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

Hey does anyone know what the best way to seal the pond i'm making can i simply grout it and then marine silicone it or can that still leak? I was also thinking that black rubber stuff they use for the big ponds for an outdoor use i'm not sure if thats overkill. I need all ideas before I continue this is the important part.

19. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would use some sort of liner, then grout, then seal. You could even use fiberglass to create the ponds "mold". That could be grouted and sealed as well.

Those are my ideas.

20. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

What sealer is used to go over the grout?