This Disappears When Logged In

New Veiled Chameleon

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Rich, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

So Angie and I were out running around and we decided to swing into the new PetSmart. We head for the reptiles and we see they have several baby veiled chams. We also notice that there is one with a kink in his tail being housed alone because he is significantly bigger than the rest. After chatting with the sales rep we decided to snatch this guy up. He had been living at PetSmart for 6 months according to the employee. Someone purchased it but returned it a day or so later because it didn't "get along" with their current veiled cham. The employee was young but she owned reptiles and her boyfriend was pretty involved with them. We exchanged our reptile lists, I told her about HC and I brought home the new cham.

I used the screen house I built for the Phoenix Worm (Black Soldier Fly Enclosure) article as the chams temp cage. (I could have used it is the permanent cage with some modifications but I had another idea.) I then repurposed one of my AP racks (Animal Plastics) to become a cham enclosure. I'm not great with pics and I used my phone versus my Canon, so they will have to do for now.

chamenclosure.png

cham2.png

There are 3 lights on the top. The large dome is a mercury vapor. The double dome to the right of it houses a CFL for light alone and the second socket is for a black light for night heat. On the back wall there is an 18" strip light mounted for additional light as well. The thermostat is in the center with the probe at the basking spot and it doubles as a hygrometer as well, but it is pretty useless where it is located. I will have to grab a second one. I have a misting system that I am adding as well. It was previously used for my iguana and will work great for the cham. The 3 day lights are on a timer and the night bulb is on its own timer as well. The mist system I have also has a digital timer that will let me set the intervals in which it runs. I think I have everything covered but let me know if I missed anything.

This little guy eats like a champ! lol

2. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

Very nice setup for one lucky VC!

Seriously looks good lighting system. Any special tube in the 18: strip light?

I like the idea of a CFL in the double dome for light only.

Rich likes this.
  3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The strip light is a standard fluorescent. Its only purpose is to help add more ambient light to make it brighter. It has worked well.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

That's an awesome set up! What a great addition to your family :)!