This Disappears When Logged In

New Uvb Set-up

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by dp428, May 13, 2017.

1. dp428

dp428 Established Member

Hey guys for my new enclosure for my sav I just got his strip lights set-up in his enclosure. I was using the bulbs but I didn't want to use for very long because I hear they don't work as well as the strip lights. But I also heard their is an aquarium brand that is way to bright and would injure my reptiles vision, so I want to make sure I am getting everything set-up nicely.

My question is what aquarium should I use to ensure he gets his UVA & UVB. I don't know if the Full spectrum is good enough or if I should get the Plant growth one (assuming if plants can grow with it, then so can animals).

I want to make sure he is getting best absorption. They are the standard 48in strip lights you would use for an aquarium but I have 2 set up in his enclosure.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Growlights and aquarium bulbs do not produce UVB. It requires bulbs specifically designed for UVB production.

3. dp428

dp428 Established Member

OK thank, any good recommendations for a 48in strip light for uvb?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have used the Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 for many years.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if you want to use UVB emitting bulbs/tubes the closest thing to natural sunlight at this time are the reptile specific metal halide bulbs, you would need to purchase a separate ballast and the bulbs are quite expensive but they do last along time, the best fluorescent tubes are the Arcadia or Zoo-Med T5 HO (high output) either 10-0 or 12-0 used with a reflector, they only need to be around 2/3rds the enclosure length.

6. dp428

dp428 Established Member

awesome ty! Just ordered the bulbs, hopefully they fit. But I don't think there will be an issue.