This Disappears When Logged In

New Tokay Enclosure

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by EctoJoJo, Jul 10, 2017.

1. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

Just finished putting my new tokay enclosure together thought I would throw up a pic with some info and pick some experienced minds.
    My red line is where I have my 75w ir spot bulb, the yellow line is a 150 watt incandescent sunlight bulb on a 14 hour timer. The room is air conditioned so I have such high wattages. My orange circle is where I have a probe for basking temps which are 90/95 during day. The green circle is where I have attached the probes for hygrometer and thermometer which show about 80/85 at day. The hygrometer shows my humidity dropping quickly not long after misting. From like 80% to 30 within an hour so. This prompted me to put a digital glass mounted combination gauge (digital) down where the blue circle is above the water dish. It seems to be holding 70% consistently ( but I just put it in). The front part of the top enclosure is covered with rubber gasket material to restrict air flow. Back is still open mesh. My night temps do drop 10 to 15 degrees f when the day bulb goes out. Which still keeps a reasonable heat gradient I think. Any input or suggestions are always appreciated. I do have a few more upgrades on the way.

Attached Files:

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Cover up that screen top and it will help with humidity. Putting a hygrometer over a water dish will cause inaccurate readings.

3. EctoJoJo

I wanted to get some input on this because most all of the care sheets suggest keeping good air flow to prevent bacteria and mold growth. I have a new fixture coming for the ir bulb and will be using a second small fixture for a mini halogen day bulb. Once I get those setup I can get a piece of sheet aluminum flashing from work and cut out holes for the two fixtures on that back side.

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Airflow can be achieved by side ventilation. That's what is usually suggested to hold humidity. If its ventilated from the top all the moisture goes up and out.

5. EctoJoJo

Ill have to consider some ideas to add side ventilation. I know there is some below the door but not much.

6. EctoJoJo

Quick update. I used some tin foil to cove the back half and cut holes for the light fixtures. The humidity seems to be holding much better. I actually have a second identical unit that came shipped with a busted door. I might take the lid off of it and try to make something a little more functional/ aesthetically pleasing. Foil is a little bit of an unruly material the shape when you want it to look nice. I might also practice on some scrap glass with a diamond hole saw to fit some rubber grommets with mesh for side ventilation. Thanks amity for the side air flow clarification.

AmityReptiles likes this.