This Disappears When Logged In

New to the Reptile World...I Can Use All the Advice I Can Get.

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by scubasoo, Aug 19, 2014.

1. scubasoo

scubasoo New Member

Hello!

My name is Susan. Not only am I new to this form, but I am also new to the reptile world.

I currently have a 50 gallon fish tank. We're getting ready to empty it and I would really love to create a multi-species, semi-aquatic habitat. My dream is to create a miniature world with a waterfall and a little pond and plants and lizards and bugs and...well you get the picture.

Can anyone tell me what reptiles will be able to co-habitat with each other?

I'd also like to build a screened enclosure to affix to a section on top of the aquarium for a chameleon.

Is this something that I can do or am I dreaming?

All advice is welcomed.

Thanks for reading!

2. scubasoo

scubasoo New Member

...and not to worry. I will not be buying all creatures at one time...unless I'm advise to for certain species. ;)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sorry to rain on your parade, but what you are considering is not going to work. The only people who successfully keep multiple species are those who already have a good working knowledge of each species. And they house them in far larger than 50 gallon tanks.

4. scubasoo

scubasoo New Member

Booo...****. Oh well. A girl can dream, can't she?

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, it's a good dream, but it's just not practical for 99% of hobbyists. The best I have seen done was 2 species by advanced keepers, and even the. It requires tremendous planning and work to pick a couple species to do. As merlin pointed out, a good working knowledge and experience with all species involved is pretty much required beforehand. Even zoos normally keep it one species to a display. Unlike with fish, reptiles can have vastly different environmental and dietary requirements, and occupy a certain niche within their environment. Your best bet would be to find 2 species that have the same environmental requirements, but occupy different niches, like a redfoot tortoise and a green iguana (Serious note here, not recommending those two at all, just making an example) where one spends all its time on the ground, and the other is arboreal. Then reasearch the crap out of them, get a couple years experience keeping each seperately, then decide if you want to do the multi-species setup.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forum, lol.