This Disappears When Logged In

New to the Forum...hello!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CTU2fan, Oct 24, 2014.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Just wanted to say hi, I'm looking to get back into the "herp game" after a long 12 years away. Hopefully I can learn some things, I'm guessing there's been some advances in herping in the past dozen or so years.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Welcome back!

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I would say a lot of care requirements for most species have been changed for the better as we learn more and more about them from captive breeding.
    Welcome to Herp Center.

4. fenrispyre

fenrispyre Active Member

Welcome back

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HC!

6. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Thanks guys.

It's definitely night and day the amount of herp-specific products you can find. Used to be if you couldn't keep it in a fish tank with a dome light then it was time to get the tools and build, and then "MacGyver" up a heat source.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Now we just skip the tank, and MacGyver away, but the available accessories have improved quite a bit. Not just limited to household bulbs and ceramic heaters anymore.

8. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

No kidding. I have an old reptile book somewhere that recommended a light bulb wrapped in tin foil for night heat. It worked too, just don't touch the thing...surprised I didn't burn the house down.

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Welcome back to the madness, lol. And yes so much has changed it nuts, and a lot of people still have no clue, and don't seem to want one. But your in a good place to get current and correct care advice.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But you have to be careful. Some of those products are total garbage.

11. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Really? And I was SURE the picture of the lizard on the box meant it was perfect!

On that note I can't believe they're still making/selling hot rocks.