This Disappears When Logged In

New to Roaches

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by jono, Mar 3, 2010.

1. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I see big chunks of fruit/veggies in there. My only concern with that it that the little roaches will not be able to eat it as well as the adults, I always chop my fresh up into little chunks with a small electric chopper so I know the little ones get some too. Also the roaches will scatter the dry food and if it sits in a juice "puddle" it might start to mold and mold can kill your colony
    Other than that it looks great

P.S. you enclosure is sooooo much cleaner than mine is even right after I clean it LOL

2. jono

jono Elite Member

oh i didnt even think of the little roaches. ill be sure to chop up the fruit pieces smaller next feeding. right now im kind of experimenting with what fruits/veggies they eat the most of. so far they seem to really like sweet potato and peach the most. ive noticed that they scatter the dry food a lot too so i started putting it in a slightly deeper dish and so far it seems to be keeping them from doing it as much. only reason why my bin might seem cleaner than yours is because i dont have the quantity of roaches you do! lol. ive not cleaned it at all since i got them besides removing old/uneaten food. only thing i really do is pick out the old molts that i see laying around in there.

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Don't make the dry dish to deep or the little ones won't be able to get to it. I just toss the dry in the bottom of the enclosure. And I cleaned the old molt up at first also, but, you learn that it really doesn't matter if thats in there and so I just leave everything until I clean the enclosure once a month or so

4. jono

jono Elite Member

since you just put the dry in the bottom without a dish i guess you only add more when its getting low? because ive been changing the uneaten dry food out every couple days. is that overkill? lol

5. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL ya, the dry doesn't need to be changed. It doesn't go bad unless it gets wet. I have it on the opposite side of the enclosure so there is no chance of it getting wet. I put the crystals and the fresh veggies on one side of the egg flats and the dry on the other side of the flats.

6. jono

jono Elite Member

ah i gotcha. that sounds like a good idea i may have to do some rearranging.. although my bin really isnt very big.. im sure i can find a way to make it work. i think the best thing i could do is not place the water crystals and fruit/veg directly under the che because they are drying out terribly fast.. within a day it seems! so you have your egg flats kind of centered in your bin/enclosure?

7. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Well, I have a 30gal sterilite tub and I have the flats about 6 inches from one side. I put the dry along the 6 inch side and have the crystals and veggies on the other side.

8. jono

jono Elite Member

oh ok. ya know i almost went with the 30 gallon i really wish i would have. the 18 gallon just seems so small now that i have all the stuff in it.

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

They aren't that expensive at walmart, just go get a 30gal and use the 18 for something else.

10. jono

jono Elite Member

im sure upgrading to the larger one would be in my best interest in the long run. but the temps are staying within the perfect range with this size bin.. im sure almost doubling the volume of the bin would make the che less effective and i really dont want to inves in another one. maybe if i just dont have as large of a ventilation window in the lid it would help keep the temps in the same range that they are now. ya think?

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I have an 8 inch square in my lid and when I was giving them heat with an uth it would run high 80's at night and during the cold winter nights here in Washington and during the day it would run mid to upper 90's during the day. I also had the uth 1/2 inch away from the enclosure.
    They will still breed fairly fast with temps in the mid 80's to low 90's.

And right now I have no heat to them and temps are running low to mid 70's and they are still breeding fairly good.

12. jono

jono Elite Member

ok well i think tomorrow ill have to head to wally world and get a bigger bin. sounds like its working out well for you. ugh now what will i do with the smaller bin?? i suppose i could save it for when my colony gets bigger so i can separate the adults from the nymphs.. that will probably be a while down the road though.

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

That's a great idea if you plan on seperating.
    I'm thinking of starting another 30gal since my colony is getting so big. Maybe I'll give some away to people on here if they are in my area.

14. jono

jono Elite Member

ah that would be a nice thing to do. you live in washington state you say? hmm i suppose floridas not quite in your area so i guess that rules me out. lmao

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL
    I'll keep you in mind as a last resort ;):D

16. jono

jono Elite Member

haha sweet!
    man a few months ago i woulda never thought i would be asking how to keep roaches alive.. let alone actually have a whole swarm of them in a box in my closet! lol

17. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL, I know what you mean. I got turned onto them by a pet store near me that had a small supply at one time and I figured I could save money by breeding them.

18. jono

jono Elite Member

just reading about them on here is what got me going lol no one even had to push me to do it i just said "eh ill give it a shot"

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL
    I kind of needled Frognut into trying them (looks innocently around) now she loves them :D

20. jono

jono Elite Member

lol even though theyre cockroaches the argument for them over crix is quite convincing. as soon as i got over the eek! :eek: factor i was all for it!