This Disappears When Logged In

New to Reptiles Here. Hi!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Frogsrule, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Frogsrule

Frogsrule Active Member

Hello everyone! I am new to the reptile world. I do have lots of experience with amphibians. I have two White's tree frogs and two FowlersxAmerican toad hybrids. Not sure what gender my toads are but i definitely have a male whites and most likely a female as well. I was hoping to get either a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon in the near future but before i do, i want to learn everything i can. I fell in love with reptiles after my friend went on vacation and asked me to take care of her leopard gecko. But anyway, its great to be here! Let me introduce my four best buddies:)!
    image.jpg
    Angus, the male White's tree frog
    image.jpg
    Helios, a Fowler's and American toad hybrid
    image.jpg
    And Selene, another Fowler's and American toad hybrid.
    Edit: Agnes is at the bottom. Dont know why the photo came up like that

Attached Files:

2. musical2one

musical2one Member

Welcome. I just love that you have toads. I work with Green treefrogs for my masters thesis and out in the field I hear so many Bufo fowleri that its uncanny, and they are definitely one of my favorite toad species (next to narrowmouth toads)! I also had a whites once as well; however, I've never been good at keeping amphibians, but reptiles I can do. Leopard geckos are great beginner reptiles and so are bearded dragons! Bearded dragons are arguably more interactive. I let my adult bearded dragon run around my apartment and she is practically my best friend. They are great pets! Leopard geckos are great too!! With both animals though, as a beginner its best to start with a juvenile and not a hatchling (basically don't buy from retail). I can't wait to see what you choose

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to Herp Center.

Looking at your photos I just had an epiphany. My daughter loves to play with toads we find on the lawn or one campground we go to has oodles of baby frogs and toads.
    I've always had trouble finding a reptile that would be a fit for her as she doesn't have interest in snakes or lizards.
    Perhaps a toad or frog would work. I always liked the monkey tree frogs and clown frogs myself.

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I loved as a kids we kept eastern toads as pets.... Very cool animals I think... Very easy to care for for we with just throwing some natural soil with a bit of leaf litter and a log and a couple rocks... And then went out a caught some wild bugs and tossed them in there... And got a UVB bulb and we were set... I had them from when I was about 10- 18 years old..... Great animals...

5. SomeLizardsInABucket

SomeLizardsInABucket Well-Known Member

I just got a new lamp for my whites tree frog. I know the temperature perameters that are preferred, but I don't know the appropriate wattag of the bulb needed. He has 60 watt bulbs.