This Disappears When Logged In

New To Leos

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Smaurer3076, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Smaurer3076

Smaurer3076 New Member

Hi,

I am going to be getting a leopard gecko soon (maybe in the next month or two depending on when I get a new job) but I only have the 20-long tank for him right now. I have a pretty good idea as to what I need but I don't want to be unprepared. I'm gonna make this the best life for him, or at least give my best for it. He is a Bold Bell male that was born in 2016. I have no idea what size of cricket I should feed him, nor how to feed him. I've watched videos on how to but I'm still fairly unclear about it. Also, how do I create a colony of meal worms and crickets? I want to be able to save money in the long run. And, what kind of feeding schedule should he be on? I won't have sand in it, because of impactions. I'm going to do ceramic tile. I want to have different things for him to climb on, like wood or rocks. Do I need a basking light? I've read mixed reviews on if they like a light or just to have the UTH.

My supply list:

-Zoo Med Reptile Shelter 3 in 1 Cave, Medium
    -(3 Pack) Zoo Med New Zealand Sphagnum Moss, .33-Pound each
    -Zoo Med ReptiTherm Under Tank Heater 8 watt
    -Fluker's Castle Crib Reptile Basking Platform
    -Jump Start MTPRTC Digital Controller Thermostat
    -Repashy Calcium Plus - 17.6 oz.
    -Zoo Med Repticare Day Night Timer
    -Conceptual Creations Reptile Corner Step Cave Hideaway
    -Zoo Med Habba Hut, Medium
    -R-Zilla Fresh Air Screen Cover with Hinged Door for Pet Cages
    -Fluker's Orange Cube Complete Cricket Diet
    -Zilla Terrarium Dish

Thanks,
    Seth

2. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

Sounds like you're off to a good start! c: Generally, people will tell you to feed crickets the size of the gap between the eyes of the lizard's head. A year old leo should be fine with medium and large crickets. Feedings can be adjustable. Some folks feed 3 times a week, some feed every other day. I generally feed every other day and dust the food every other feeding. ^^
    There are many ways to feed. Try to avoid hand feeding/using tongs if your gecko can catch it's food. They may become dependent and will only eat when directly given the food. You can but a bunch in a ceramic dish (they can't get traction enough to hop out), dump some in the cage, etc. I usually take out a bunch in an old big medicine bottle and drop one at a time in my leo's tank, letting her chase it down and eat it before giving another one (adults usually eat between 5-8 crickets per feeding). When she's had her fill and there's still a cricket in the cage, it's best to get it out within an hour or so. Crickets like to nibble toes of sleeping leos.
    I'm not sure on colonies, but there are many guides. ^^ I know cricket colonies are nightmarish, but more power to you if you wanna deal with it. Mine would touch mealies, haha.
    Leos do not need a basking lamp. They just need the belly heat, and accompanied with a basking lamp might even make them too hot. Leos are crepuscular and do not bask.
    Your supplies sound good, just one thing I'd change. The 8-watt pad will likely be too small. Generally you'll want the UTH to cover about 1/4 of the tank. Going up in size will go up in wattage, but the thermostat will protect your lizard from burning. c: It's hard to find a pad specifically for a 20L gal, but I use one that's listed as a 30 gal UTH, and it covers just about 1/4.

Glad you did your research to keep your new pet happy! ^^

3. Smaurer3076

Smaurer3076 New Member

Awesome! Thanks for the information! I will definitely heed your advice!!

Taterbunny likes this.