This Disappears When Logged In

New to Here...and Sulcatas

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Spikethetortoise, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicole

nicole Elite Member

57 pounds of Earth moving giant shell. He is fun at times, and other times I want to make soup out of him, lol. ( That is a joke) He is 9 years old and small for his age. He was a rescue. Just know that it is not all fun and games,lol. I love him dearly though and now would be lost without him. Eventually he will find his forever home and I will miss him like crazy, but I am sure there will be another one that is in severe need.

2. Spikethetortoise

Spikethetortoise Active Member

Oh so you provide temporary homes to sick or damaged sulcatas?

3. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I have no idea what your version of temporary is, lol. I have had Oscar for about two years, lol. I am a rescue, I provide temporary and permanent homes for many reptiles and cats. ( cats are not a favorite of mine, though you could not tell as I have5 that will live the rest of theirs lives out here, lol) Sulcatas are hard to find homes for when they get bigger, they are the number one tortoise that is dumped on rescues, because they are too much for the majority to handle. They also do not make good house pets. I cannot take in another male with Oscar in here, and he would make a female crazy, lol. I am not so sure that would be fair to her. The last sulcata I took in spent some serious time in the vets office and ended up getting adopted by the vet ( I got really lucky).

4. Spikethetortoise

Oh ok, well a really admire you for helping out innocent animals. I'm not too much of a fan of my cats...they're sooo needy. I'm much more into dogs but they're not allowed in my apt building. If i had the space and time I would love to rescue animals as well but i don't. :(

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm in the same boat (1 bedroom apartment) and though I already have 9 herps, I'd love more. No room for more (well, we don't really need a kitchen table do we?)

Someday when I have a backyard, I'll get me a tortoise. I like the redfoots.

6. Spikethetortoise

Yea soon enough I'll have my own house with a nice backyard so my sulcata can roam at its own leisure. I'd also love to build up a very nice fishtank in like a basement or extra room.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I would do a little more research in that light. Many have reported eye problems from the ones over 5.0

Welcome To ReptileUV - Mega-Ray® UVB lamps for reptile lighting worldwide

Best bang for you buck, more UVB than any tube or spiral out there, plus heat! Lasts a year too, rather than 6 months.

8. Spikethetortoise

Oh yea? We got the 10.0 cause the guy at the local herp store where I got him said to get the 10.0 to help with calcium production.

9. schlegelbagel

They need the UVB to help with calcium ABSORPTION, they can't produce it, only what they eat. It doesn't produce calcium. 10.0 is what you need, I'm just saying some people have had problems with the swirly light, so keep your eyes out for squinty-eyes.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Those coils are not all that great. Flourescent generated UVB drops off over distance.
    IF the animal is over 8-10 inches from the bulb they don't get squat.

11. Spikethetortoise

Well if he does get squinty eyes then i should get those other lights? He seems to have some "dried skin" around his eyes. I really cant describe it any other way. And he can be quite blinky too. Is that just normal behavior?

12. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Can you post a picture? He might be blinky from particles in his eyes. Have you changed his substrate yet to paper towels?

13. Spikethetortoise

Yea I changed to paper towels. He seems to enjoy it more. I cant seem to find the button to post pictures in the advanced post. I know it should be below manage attachments but it doesn't pop up.

14. schlegelbagel

I think you have to upload your photos either to our gallery, or some other photo-hosting site, like photobucket.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its the yellow button, "Manage attachments"

16. Spikethetortoise

Yea I know it should be there, its like this in the monsterfishkeepers forum...but for some reason its not popping up on here. Oh btw, spike is doing much better without the sand. He's much more lively. Also we got him some collard greens today and he chowed down big time on them.

17. nrfitchett4

nrfitchett4 Guest

I'm looking into a Sulcata and Kaplan's care sheet says a grass substrate is recommended. Also to be careful about leafy vegetables as they can over hydrate and cause kidney damage. Any of y'all had any long term experience with these guys?

18. schlegelbagel

Yep, the timothy hay should be available all day since they are grazers, so they can graze and then once a day they get some greens.

We have a few long term keepers on here...

19. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Depends on what your version of long term is, lol. I do not see Oscar finding a suitable home any time soon, so I imagine he will be here for quite some time. He has definitely changed my life a lot in the last two years.

Yes, the hay is extremely important to them, Liz is right, I always have that available for him 24/7. He is fed greens and such once a day, but he eats a LOT of them, lol. He will mosey all day long back to his bowl eating his hay, they are definitely grazers.

20. Spikethetortoise

Yes, they're are definite mosey-ers lol. Spike comes out every 30 mins or so from his "hole" to eat and then goes back in a crashes like a sack of potatoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.