This Disappears When Logged In

New to Dragons, Will Be Making an Enclosure and Have TONS of Questions.

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Logan, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I need to get some more branches for him and get them sterilized. i wasabout to go downstairs for a snack so if I'm not feeling adventurous ill go get him some more tonight.

2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

During this build, I plan to make it so that all of the glass can be removed and the extra frame removed so that it can be moved through doors and hallways easily. My gf's aunt actually owns a glass shop, so we've been thinking about using real glass to make the build costs lowers. I'm trying to figure out how I would mount the sides so they can be removed from the framing relatively easily. I was thinking maybe metal brackets (like the tracks used for showers or something) and siliconing around the glass so that the silicone could be cut or removed and then the glass pulled out. We're only doing two sides and I think part of the top with glass/acrylic/plexi. I know that I could just screw plexi right to the wood. I'm not sure about the acrylic as far as putting screws in it ...

Also, I read that polycrylic is safer and faster drying that polyurethane. I found this at our local Lowes and wanted to see what you all think.

Shop Minwax 1-Quart Satin Polycrylic Protective Finish at Lowes.com

I've also had marine paint recommended both for sealing the wood used in the build and for sealing the back drop I plan on carving ... any thoughts on that?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Polycrylic is polyurethane. Its just water based instead of oil based. Thats why it is easier to use and drys and cures out faster.
    You can use regualr polyurethane but it will take weeks to cure and stop off gassing instead of days. If you have no time limit, the regular poly is cheaper than the polycrylic but most of us who build cages don't want to wait that long!
    We get impatient.
    I use the polycrylic. ;)

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I thought I used polycrilic but it was oil based. Stunk up my house for weeks!

5. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Ha. Yeah, I don't want to wait forever ... although we did just find a decent priced 40g breeder tank to move him into next week until this build is done. I know the 40 won't last him forever, and I'd like to get this built so I have time to work out the heat and humidity levels in it and such for at least a week before I move him in there. It's a big area and I have never worked with a reptile in something that size, so I don't want to run into any unexpected issues with keeping his levels good. What about the marine paint? It would be nice if I could find it in some earth tones and such. It would certainly make a decent color base for the background to make painting it easier. From my understanding marine paint is used in shark tanks and such and can even make a piece of fabric waterproof ... ??

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes it is safe to use but kinda expensive. I just used acrylic craft paint and then polyerathane over it.

7. Logan

Logan Elite Member

IDK what size Lizz found online, but she said the price was cheaper than the polycrylic I linked to. If it's usually more expensive, I'm gonna get is was probably a pint size thing of it then ... who knows. She said she was going to find the info and show me later.

8. Logan

Logan Elite Member

ALSO ... I feel the need to note that he has mostly finished his shed. He's a LOT greener now, including some blue on his cheeks/chin. :)

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That's very nice! The color development is a fun part of watching them grow.

10. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Meh ... got a call into the vet ... he's not breathing harder or worse ... just faster ... she's going to call me back and we'll go from there.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Umm breathing faster can be a sign of fear/stress. I hope that's all it is.

12. Logan

Logan Elite Member

At first i thought that it might just have been that when i noticed yesterday but he eas still doing it while sleeping .. and was pausing while eating just to breath both times i fed him last night. because of his size we got oral meds because she would have had to dilute injectable down so much she was worried about its effectivness. my roommate is diabetic and i will probably confiscate some of her unused needles and inject the meds into his meals to keep his stress levels when medicating down.

13. Logan

Logan Elite Member

So ... we let Toothless have his first deep water swim ... and we may have an issue ... We got a video of it ... and every time he stops moving he goes belly up in the water ... We took a video ... We couldn't stop laughing because he won't even try to stop it when he starts rolling ... I'll get the video up in just a minute.

14. Logan

Logan Elite Member

[video=facebook;10151135608957066]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151135608957066&set=vb.641802065&type=2&theater[/video]

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If you place something in the water so that he can go to it and rest before continuing to swim it would probably help.

16. Logan

Logan Elite Member

He was only in there a few minutes. I wanted to see if he would even swim. I'm also a complete idiot and because I'm so used to having well water at my parents house, I didn't think about the chlorine in the water. *facepalm* I have been dechlorinating the water that he usually has by leaving it out for 24-48 hrs, but was so excited about letting him swim that I didn't even think. I'm going to pick up some ReptiSafe (I think that's what it's called) so that I can not only give him a bigger water dish and not have to go through the long process of letting it sit out but also so that I can let him swim more often. I feel like an idiot for forgetting that we have city water. However, the good news is that the water here never reeks of chlorine or smells chemically at all, so I don't think it's too heavily chlorinated. I'll work on finding and sterilizing some rocks so that we can build up a platform for him to get out of or grab on to when swimming.

Also, I see that the video isn't working at all ... did you get to see it? It was working when I first put it up... I can relink it. I posted it to FB twice ... and removed one ... I might have removed the one linked instead of the other one by accident.

17. Logan

Logan Elite Member

18. Logan

Logan Elite Member

!!! Found 2 40g breeders on CL. He says that because they aren't supported on the sides/top that they can only half way be filled with water? Is that correct? Either way, if he still has them, and I can find a way to go pick one up, I'm probably going to on payday. Stupid me for buying a car that needed to be restored annnnd only has 2 seats (87 Pontiac Fiero) instead of a daily driver.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Depends on if it is the front opening ones (can't be filled for obvious reasons) or a regular aquarium with the top being screen lid (holds full water). I have no idea what he means about the top and sides not being supported. Did he supply pictures?
    The lil piggy snack pack is a good option for food.
    The video has to be approved first to make sure it is appropriate for children (no cursing or nudity etc)

20. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Regular tank. Comes with a screen lid too. I'm not sure if he was just misinformed or what, but i can build a frame for it if i end up filling it up all the way at some point. i wasnt sure about the superworms in the snack pack is all. Also, what kind of thermostat do most people here use pr recomend? planning on getting an undertank heater for the 40g and id like to put it and the light on a thermostat , and plan to use the thermostat fpr the big enclosure once its done.