This Disappears When Logged In

New Taxonomy on the Lampropeltini Tribe

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Brewster320, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

I found this very interesting. So the scarlet king is now its own species and the fox snake has its own genus. Interestingly now the short tail snake is now a memeber of Lampropeltis. Also I believe slowinskii is now its own species also. Some of it is confusing but I get most of the main points.

I actually kind of agree with the idea of the scarlet king. To me atleast it seems so much different then the other milk snake subspecies. Although it is probably going to take awhile for other hobbist to warm up to the idea.

Also I wonder if putting the Short-tailed Snake in the Lampropeltis genus will make it more popular in the hobby with hobbiest, especialy king snake lovers, with them now wanting to get into a new species of king snake.

I looked up about short tailed snakes and I discovered its a small, thin snake only reaching 14-20 inches with 25 inches being the record. Also it is rarely seen above ground and is believed to feed almost exclusively on the Florida crowned snake (Tantilla relicta) and other small snakes and possibly skinks. I'd imagen it'd be a hard captive for the adverage keeper. Any scarlet king keepers interested in taking on a new challenge?

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

The taxonomic classifications of snakes (all animals actually) is constantly reviewed and changed. Next week thay may come back and say the corn snake is actually classified as Elaphe guttata guttata again. If my memory serves me correctly, there has been talk of reclassifying them as pantherophis guttata guttata. The findings they come up with are pretty interesting though.
    I am not sure the short-tailed snake will ever catch on thoughas most hobbiests want a snake that they can see from time to time without having to dig it up. Although, they could build an ant farm type of hide where the snake is visible underground. Time will tell

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Taxonomists are like engineers,...
    They just love to change things!

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

And governments!:p

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

And confuse things even more than they already are! ;)

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You may find it hard to get a hold of as they are protected in Florida. If you can find them elsewhere, you may be in luck. I don't know the range of the species. This is from the Florida Wildlife Commission - they are on charge issuing permits to own animals here in Florida.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.