This Disappears When Logged In

New Tank Help!

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by krisleah, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krisleah

krisleah Elite Member

My birthday is coming up soon, and my parents had asked me tonight if I was thinking of anything I wanted. I said I wanted a bigger tank for my fire bellied toads.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for a 10g (min) 15g (max) tank that are reasonably priced. What are some good sites to order from?

any ideas would be great!

Thanks in advance =)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There really is no savings by ordering tanks. Sure initial price may sound good but by the time you add on shipping you could just have easily gone to WalMart or a pet shop.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yep, Tanks are pretty cheap at Petsmart. I would just stick with something like that. Any reason not to get a 20 or 29 gallon? Your toads would be happier with more room and they are only a few dollars more.

4. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

They also have entire kits set up for a choice of reptiles, mammals, fish, etc. You can add on to the kits after purchase, or customize your own set up. Personally, I would go for the 20 long or 30 standard. The 29 is high fronted and makes for a better view for tropical fish. Unless of course you want climbing room for your loved ones!

5. krisleah

krisleah Elite Member

im not looking to really 'save' i just don't want ot spend a fortune. The wal*mart by me normally only has little beta tanks.. nothing over 5 g. The pet stores around here, esp. Petsmart, I don't trust. We've gotten a few tanks from them and they've all had leaks. Thats why I'd just rather buy from a site that deals in fish, small animals and tanks.. I've seen quite a few that are already built for frogs and toads and what not.. yanno, the kits and stuff.

6. krisleah

krisleah Elite Member

at the moment, I don't have room for a 20-29 g. tank. We don't have our own place since the landlord sold the house without telling us, so we had to pack up and move an hour south, which means my bf lost his job, we didn't have money put aside for a new place beause we just signed the lease for the new year, and didn't expect to have to move a month later... Right now, the only place I have to put a tank is on the dresser in the bedroom and the dresser has to be shared with my stuff, plus the cricket/worm tank (which is just a small betta carrier) We have two other tanks as well (plus a giant ferret condo for our 4 ferts.). Our saltwater tank and my turtle tank. But, space is limited, and I just wanted to get them something that will fit on the dresser. I really wish I could get them a huge tank. But, as long as we're living here, it's not possible =/

Are you sayig they'd be unhappy in a 15 g. with just the two of them? Ive heard you can put two happily in a 15g.

if thats the case, then I guess I'll have to find someone to take them because I can't give them a bigger tank then that at the moment and it'd be unfair to them. I love them to death, but if they're going to be miserable in a 15g, then I might as well find someone who can give them a bigger home.

7. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Brand new tanks are warranted by the manufacturer. They have to give you a replacement, as long as you have the receipt. You can go back 20 times, and they have to replace it!

8. krisleah

krisleah Elite Member

I know =/ I bought a 10 for my turt when I first got him, and it leaked right away. I brought it back and got a new one, took it home and let it sit filled with water in the bathroom over night. .. woke up to no water in the tank. took it back... got another one.. that one as soon as I filled it up, the bottom spiderwebbed and it was a disaster.. They wouldn't replace it because they said I broke it . I just gave up. I've bought my tanks off line since then. I'm fine with paying shipping if it means I don't have to deal with the idiots that only work at petco/petsmart for the money and not because they love animals. I get so angry going in there because they don't know anything about the animals they're selling or how to take care of them.

When I went to petco because I was thinking of getting another toad (back when I still had just one ) the lady there said she feeds them sinking frog pellets every day and only crickets once a week. The poor things looked starved. I have floating frog pellets... but I only use that to dump into the cricket tank. (they go nuts for them. they're small.. and they're full of good stuff for the toads. )

I bought my bfs Eclipse system offline because I went to buy it at petco and made sure I lookd at it first, and the hood was cracked and there was a crack on the side of the tank. Its like they play basketball with all the tanks there!

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Nah, they will be just fine in a 15 gallon. Its just sometimes easier to build something when you have more room to work with in the first place.

10. krisleah

krisleah Elite Member

Phew! I didn't want to have to give them away! haha.

Building up isn't [much of] a problem. I'll spend hours rearranging their tank until I get it just right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.