This Disappears When Logged In

New Sulcata Tortoise..few Questions

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by thaboi, Oct 12, 2011.

1. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

My cousin just got a new baby sulcata tortoise i did my research of course with him to ensure the baby had everything he needed right now. I only have a few questions because there are alot of contradicting things out there and id prefer to hear the info from people who actually have sulcatas. Anyways right now he has a 125w solar glo MVB a hide water dish and food dish basking temp is around 102 and ambient/cool side 75-78 degress.
    im more curious about the temperatures than anything

heres a pic

Attached Files:

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Temperatures sound pretty good. What is it being fed?

3. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Your basking temp is too high! 95F is the max temp with ambient hot side around 90F. Also your sulcata will need an enclosure that isn't glass. I've got mine in a 3'x3' wooden custom tortoise table, which is only going to last until he gets bigger. Also unless it's one of those ramp dishes a baby tort isn't going to be able to use it. This is okay though as long as the food you feed him is misted and he gets a bath every few days. What staple greens is he eating and are you using a calcium supp? What substrate is he on?

4. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Hes not in a glass tank and what he is being kinda forgot but its what we read on care sheets and no no calcium.powder greens do get misted I have a calcium powder without d3 but I dont use it he gets bathed 3 times a week his substrate is a jungle type bedding forgot the name I am buying a lower wattage bulb a 100 w powersun

5. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Sorry, the picture is a little confusing.
    He needs lots of calcium in his diet to help aid in shell growth. My sulcata is on grass hay, so if he ingests some of his substrate by accident it won't hurt him. You want to make sure you feed lots of high fiber, low protein greens, such as dandelion, clover, kale, collard, etc.

6. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Thats pretty much what we feed him and yeah ima change the bedding to grass hay only question is should I use calcium powder with d3 or calcium powder WITHOUT d3

7. justor

justor Elite Member

use calcium powder without d3.

It may be a good idea to keep the current substrate for a while. It will hold humidity better which is important for baby tortoises to develop smooth shells... even sulcatas, which as adults are supposed to be kept in dry conditions. You can put the food dish on something solid like a tile to prevent substrate from being accidentally ingested.

8. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Thanks

Thanks ill do that