This Disappears When Logged In

New Snake Suggestions!

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by CapnTygerr, Mar 19, 2017.

1. CapnTygerr

CapnTygerr New Member

It became clearly obvious to me that obtaining a captive bred Sunbeam Snake is literally going to take me quite a while to find. So I am this time a little bit more open to suggestions on what my first pet snake should be!
    Im primarily looking for a small snake, that doesn't require a huge space (if possible I'd like to turn one of my small bins into a terrarium as I am really uncomfortable with glass tanks right now), easy to care for, non-venomous!!

Of course, not all snakes have to meet those specific requirements lolol but I'd like some suggestions on some you'd think would be great for a starter!!

Thankyou to all~ <3

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Why are you uncomfortable with glass tanks?

We need to know the size of your bins.

4. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

As stated above, we do need to know what size bins you are using.
    It might be a little biased, but cali Kingsnakes are good starter snakes in my opinion. They feed well and tolerate being handled fairly well. I keep mine in a 75 gallon tank, plenty of room and lots of hides.
    There are also fairly active and fun to watch

5. CapnTygerr

CapnTygerr New Member

The bin I have right now is a 15 quart storage bin. Though I'm willing to get other sizes of bins if needed for the snake I decide on. I'm just really uncomfortable with glass when it comes to really anything in general, I just get extremely anxious. I was also considering acrylic tanks yet I haven't found many options for those while searching around yet!

6. Lizardlover13

Lizardlover13 Member

Cornsnakes are a great first pet as they don't get huge and are fairly docile. Also, ball pythons are a good first pet although they can get large in a few years.

7. Merlin

That translates to 3.5 gallons. There really isn't anything that will go in that small.

8. CapnTygerr

CapnTygerr New Member

Oh sorry! I meant 15 gallon! So I think that's around 60 qt! Maybe too small still? Again I'm still looking to purchase an acrylic tank, but for a general sized tank/bin for smaller snakes what what size would be good?

9. Merlin

A cornsnake can live in a 20 long.
    Ruthvens kingsnake as well.

CapnTygerr likes this.
  10. Bigkims1995

Bigkims1995 New Member

I'm also curious about that.