This Disappears When Logged In

New Snake Owner Here W/ a Feeding ?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by ZandraO, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ZandraO

ZandraO Member

I can't wait till they get bigger, they are just so tiny right now 14 & 18 inches long (about)...but DANG they are FAST!!!!! My kids cant hold the one because she will just fly off their hands...she's too fast for me and certainly for them...hope they slow a bit as they get adjusted and used to us. They slither and hide as soon as I open the tank...they know I'm coming to get them and hold them. Kids have only touched them a couple times. I mostly just get them out when they are in bed. Our dog is still trying to figure what the heck is on my hands and arms...but I love them already. May just be a week, but they are my babies, and both are eating so here's hoping they grow fast...but not TOO fast! haha healthy fast!

2. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Beautiful!!! I have a snow motley corn myself and just love them.

3. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Moscato (my snow corn) is so fast too! Once she got in my hands and used to me she slowed down a lot, and sometimes when she finds a really warm and comforatble spot on me she'll just stop and relax :) She still is fast when I try to get her out of her tank though, i'm sure she'll always do that.

4. ZandraO

ZandraO Member

Thats good to know Amy, that is how they act. My snow will bury himself and i have to fish him out, but then in my hands he's happy and calm and will just let me stroke him and he's happy. good to know he doesn't hate me that's just the way they can be!

5. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Oh no he doesn't hate you! lol Corn snakes are slither masters! They are very fast indeed but once they feel safe and get calmed down they are very enjoyable :) I have to coax Moscato out of her hide but once she's out, she's all good.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hatchlings are just naturally fast and squirmy. Its a survival mechanism so that they don't get eaten. As they get older they will settle down a bit but they will never be as placid as say a python or boa.
    Mine will crawl right out of the tank up my arm!

7. tiffers

tiffers Elite Member

so i am reading this and the thread i posted earlier where i posted pics she had eaten only about an hour earlier. the pet store said they were feeding her 2 mice weekly and fed on sundays i only fed her one mouse but i didnt really notice a 'bulge' or lump i fed her one of the smaller mice they had because her head is so tiny but since i didnt notice a lump does that mean i need to up feeder size?

8. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Yes, if you don't see a lump or buldge you should up the feeding size, and you snake will be thankful for it!

9. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Ditto on the above...(and just for the record, don't let the "small head" fool you. The upper and lower jaws aren't attached like you are probably thinking.)
    I thought the same thing not to long ago.. However, it didn't take too long before I witnessed firsthand that they most certainly will eat prey MUCH larger than the size of their head....Use the rule about offering prey that is the size of the largest/widest part of the snakes body.. and if you don't see the bulge, then definitely move up a size.

10. Merlin

Maybe this will give you a comparison. This is one of my corns eating a rat pup.

leftyeating01S.jpg
    leftyeating03S.jpg
    leftyeating05S.jpg
    leftyeating07S.jpg
    leftyeating18S.jpg
    leftyeating19S.jpg

Attached Files:

11. ZandraO

ZandraO Member

WOW great pictures!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing them.

12. tiffers

tiffers Elite Member

So since I did just feed her should I wait til next week and feed bigger or wait a couple of days and feed her another small one to supplement so she isn't going hungry

13. Merlin

No problem! People often make the mistake of looking at the small head on a snake and misjudging just exactly what they can swallow!

Go ahead and wait till the next feeding. They need to go thru the digestion process and get settled.

14. tiffers

tiffers Elite Member

Ok thank u!!