This Disappears When Logged In

New snake keeper

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by bananaman, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bananaman

bananaman Member

Hello everyone :) I'm new to the forum and to snake keeping, Ive been keeping tarantulas for a while now and have over 70...

I had wanted a snake really bad for some time now and finally got one. It is a bull snake, about 3 ft. long I'd say... I have been reading all I can find about them for a couple of days now... I was unsure if I wanted to get this one, or a couple of corns or a dumeril's boa...

I ended up with this one because it belonged to a friend of mine, and he called and said he couldnt care for it anymore... so I got it for free! :) I didnt even have to pay for my first snake... woo hoo...

Im hoping to learn all I can, give it a proper enclosure and a good life... Ive been reading all these threads, you guys have great looking snakes.

No pictures for now, the ride was bumpy and I dont wanna bother it for a couple of days. It is on newspaper now, but tomorrow I'm going to go get aspen... my biggest problem here is I dont have access to frozen mice/rats... I have 4 mice I bought recently with the intention of breeding them and then freezing the offspring as I started to plan for my snake acquisition, but I that'll take some time.

My friend has been feeding it live mice... which I would like to stop doing, but I dont know how hard it will be. It is also used to eating in its enclosure, but I want to start feeding it outside...

(S)he seems very docile, Ive handled it a few times at his place... never hissed nor struck... I know it is not generally considered a beginner snake, but I had to take it in! And this one seems particularly tame, since Ive been reading the arent the calmest of snakes.

Sorry for the mega long post, just wanted to let you guys know why Im here, and if you have any advice on keeping this snake, I'd really appreciate it... any questions I have and cant find the answer to, I'll be sure to ask.

Oh yeah, and I'll post some pics in a few days ;)

Later!

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to the site and congrats on your new snake.

If you don't have access to frozen rodents you can oreder online or just use fresh killed. It's a dirty job, but its better for the snake if its lunch can't bite back ;)

I'm sure everyone is looking forward to pictures!

3. bananaman

bananaman Member

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I live in Mexico and there is no one here who sells frozen rodents... online or offline... so Im stuck with probably having to do it myself...

Fresh killed... and how would I go about killing exactly? I have had mice and rats as pets before and I dont like the idea of having to kill them myself... any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks :)

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I know that there are ways to humanely gas them...but most peoplechoose the quick route and put the mouse in a bag and slam it's head againts a wall or counter top. Quick and easy...

5. bananaman

bananaman Member

Mhmmm... bag and bang... sounds good I guess... thanks!

6. The D

The D Mango Empress

when i switched my Red Tail from live to f/t i used fresh kills as a transitioner, worked well for him. bag and bang would be my recommended method as well. it's kind of awful to do, but much much better for your snake than live. good luck, and Welcome! =^.^=

7. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Welcome to herp center as you will find out most of us are friendly and willing to help out. I want to hear more about the tarantulas! I've been considering getting another arachnid. I already have a rose haired.

8. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Welcome to the HC Network. If you have the resources available, you could also build your own Co2 chamber to euthanize the rodents.

Here is an article on how to go about doing it:

Simple Co2 Chamber - Feeder Rodent Euthanizing

9. HoanIsMyBallPython

HoanIsMyBallPython Elite Member

Welcome to HC

Everyone here is great but you already know that.Congrats on your new snake.If you dont wana feed live the bag and bang is a good way but I personally feed live.But everyone here says otherwise.Im looking forward to pictures aswell and lets heer more about those tarantulas.

10. venus

venus Founding Member

Welcome to HCN, looks like you have been given much advice already...Post pics when you can :)

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HCN! Bull snakes are great snakes. I had a wild caught adult when I was a kid, long loooooong ago! :)
    They can be a bit hissy at times but with most that is as far as they go. And since the snake is used to handling you are already a step ahead.
    When I was having to kill mice, my technique was simply to take it by the tail, swing it, and strike its head against something hard. It is a bit traumatic to begin with but when I thought of my snakes being injured it was much easier.
    I would continue to keep the snake on paper for a while and let the transition to eating the prekilled happen in its tank where it is comfortable. After a bit then you can work on feeding outside the enclosure.

12. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Welcome to HC Network...I am currently fostering (most likely permanently lol) a bull snake and she is a great snake to work with...they generally will eat anything at any time so I wouldnt worry about feeding....glad you found us and let us know if you have questions...

13. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

welcome to HC! glad you joined us. congrats on the new addition and can't wait for pics when he/she is all settled in. good luck with him/her. :)

14. bananaman

bananaman Member

:eek: Oh dear... talk about a welcome! You guys are great thanks a lot :)

Well um... I might have messed up as I hadnt checked this but I already switched it to aspen... I took it out, disinfected the whole enclosure, and filled it with aspen a hide box and the water dish...

After I put it back in it took to the hide so fast I wasnt able to get a decent picture... poor thing must be quite stressed... I'll leave it alone until this weekend and I'll feed him/her then...

Thanks again for the welcome and the advise... (s)he seems a little nervous but other than that no hissing nor striking... yet anyways...

Here are a few pics... the first two are from last night before I switched her... the other two are from today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS Id love to share some pictures of my favorite tarantulas with you, but I dont know if it would be ok in this thread... I started with a rose hair too, then another, and another... now Im keeping a little over 70 plus a bunch of slings from a friends eggsac. Im working on several breeding projects, we'll see how they turn out :rolleyes:

15. venus

venus Founding Member

16. The D

The D Mango Empress

ah such a cute little one! i would definitely leave her alone for a bit, let her calm down and get used to her new home. she most likely wont eat until she's adjusted as well.

i would post pictures of your T's in a different thread as well. =^.^=

<edit> ug... didnt see Marsh beat me to it!

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Theres nothing wrong with aspen, I use it with all my snakes. It just means that you will have to remove the snake to another enclosure for feeding.

18. bananaman

bananaman Member

19. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

That's a nice looking snake,,,congrats !!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.