This Disappears When Logged In

New Snake Albino Burmese

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by boa25, Dec 15, 2009.

1. boa25

boa25 New Member

I just got a 4 month old albino Burmese , this is my first burmese Im asking for info and care tips for my snake ? I will post pics soon :)

I also got a central american boa about a year old ;)

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

The main thing to remember is the little snake you now have will possibly triple or quadruple in length within a year. You will need to start working on a larger enclosure now. Also remember- a general rule of thumb is to have an extra person for every six feet of snake you have. These beautiful snakes also eat A LOT and before long, they will be swallowing rabbits so start saving up for future feeders. Good luck, if you have other questions, feel free to ask. I will help in any way I can. One other thing- research constantly. You can never read enough to learn all you can about burms.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Have you considered breeding your own feeders? If you have a backyard, you could set up a hutch or three and breed rabbits!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You do know that when it grows up it will be illegal for you to possess?

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It's odd that a pet shop could have them (as they are usually intended for sale there) but a person cannot? who do they think the pet shops are selling it TO? I also like that that law makes no provisions for other organizations or institutions such as sanctuaries, rescues, shelters or reptile farms (Though I doubt there would be many in Illinois). Gotta love lawmakers!

In many cases, it just means you need a certain permit. It's at least worth looking into. You may be able to get a permit to keep your snake, or it may be totally illegal. It's worth further research.

6. boaterr

boaterr Well-Known Member

I am going to be honest with you. If you need to ask random people on a forum questions about how to take care of your new Burm than you should not have bought it in the first place, if you want to keep giants succesfully you learn the information about the snake before hand and eventually buy the snake after you have a wealth of knowledge. For all you know someone could be telling you a bunch of lies, i have gone to many sites and read pages upon pages of false information. However, you already have the snake so it is to late to go back. A couple rules for keeping giant snakes that have kept me safe when dealing with small and large Reticulated Pythons, Burmese Python, and Anacondas.

1. Do not keep these animals in glass aquariums-It is often a pain to keep heat and humidity in the proper range when using glass aquariums. Burms are very susceptable to ri so temps need to always be kept within the proper range (hot spot of 89-92 degrees, cold side of 79-82 degrees. Either build your own cage or buy an enclosure from a commerical builder like animalplastics.com

2. Do not feed giant snakes in seperate enclosures-These snakes have very strong feeding responses that are triggered by the scent of food, once they go into feeding more they stay in that mode for hours and makes interacting with the animal dangerous. Feed in cage and hook train the snake by tapping the snake with a snake hook when you want to hold the snake. During feeding time do not use the hook so the animal can learn that hook means no food.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

8. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Looks very promising to me. I'll have to remember them for future use.

10. kevinnorman

kevinnorman New Member

Make sure that you don't over feed them cause it is possible for a snake to be obese. In the wild they can go days even weeks without food. They dont always get the first catch. So make sure you watch their feeding habits because snakes will eat hungry or not. And another thing, NEVER feed them chickens or anything from an unknown feeder. They can Salmanila and then you will end up losing a member of your snake family. Anything else just ask.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

all animals pretty much can carry salmonella without being bothered by it. All reptiles and birds are carriers, as are most rodents, and all domesticated animals (pig, cow, ferret, llama, duck, cat, dog etc.)

That doesn't mean they all have it. Just that they can all carry it.

Salmonella will not bother your reptile. Short of testing for it, you will not even know if he has it. And because they are not always shedding in in their stool, they can test negative when they do indeed have it. In general, 3 clean fecal tests in a row and you can consider your animal to be clean of it.

If he passes it to you or any other human however, it may bother you. Just maintain good hygiene habits, and you should be fine. It is generally spread by fecal contact, either directly or indirectly. Symptoms are pretty much identical to food poisoning - nausea, vomiting, headache, diarrhea, etc. It HAS killed people, but they are generally people with suppressed or undeveloped immune systems. Infants, elderly, people on immuno-suppresive medical therapy such a Chemotherapy, etc. For the normal healthy person, you're sick and miserable for a few days, then you're over it. Because it is such a widespread and common disease, that can come from many sources, it is often hard to determine exactly where you may have gotten it if you DO get sick. It can also be contracted by a number of foods (most notably, poultry and eggs, improperly prepared, or other foods contaminated with it.)

12. GoffReptiles

GoffReptiles Well-Known Member

I see some loopholes in that law, being that snakes are "venomous" and not "poisonous" and "life threatening" sounds like a bit of an opinion. With 3-5 people, given the size of some adult burms, I don't see a burm being life threatening. Just my opinion though o:)

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Most people, herpers aside, do not realize that there is a difference
    However incorrect the verbage may be when it comes down to it they would still be considered illegal.
    However that opinion will not be shared by the people who arrest you as well as the judges who enforce the laws. The law does not differentiate between one person handling it and multiple people handling it. An adult burmese is still capable of killing a person.

As is evidenced by the, far too frequent, newspaper headlines detailing the foolish demise of some keeper.

14. GoffReptiles

GoffReptiles Well-Known Member

Merlin, I wasn't being serious...I was just joking around because I thought that law was funny and poorly written by someone who is clearly ignorant when it comes to reptiles. It was obviously written without consulting a professional herper... a zoo's reptile curator would be a good place to start.

My opinion- There absolutely needs to be restrictions on burm/retic/anaconda and other 14+ foot snakes being kept as pets. I don't think outlawing them is the answer though. A permit and registration number to qualified people sounds good though. Then we know who has them, where they are, and that they are being properly cared for...

15. Cyclura08

Cyclura08 Well-Known Member

That hook technique sounds like a great idea. I think i might try that...thanks!