This Disappears When Logged In

New Snake Advice

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Cronie, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Cronie

Cronie Member

Hello :)

I am considering getting a snake. I expect I will do a few months of research into this and I am looking for some direction.

The main criteria are:

Size - I am looking for a snake that remains small as fully grown adult. Not more than 6-8 inches (smaller would be better)

Diet - Would prefer a snake that eats insects rather than small mammals

Source - It has to be captive bred and common ... not looking for anything especially rare or wild

Care - I am new to snakes, so it would be preferable if the breed is easy to care for. A breed with an easygoing, relaxed demeanor would be best.

Cost - should not be rare or expensive. ($50-$100 at most)

Lifespan - Should not be super long-lived, i.e. it should not live longer than me, haha In all honesty, this is something I don't know much about, snake lifespans.

If anyone knows of a good place to start, or if you can think of a breed that matches this description, please let me know. Again, this is probably a long term project and it is not a done deal. I don't plan on doing this if I am not right for it, so please let me know a good place to start for basic snake care and snake psychology. (i.e. what motivates them? what stimulation do they need? How much contact is best? etc.)

Thank you for your time

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Based on your criteria, you won't be getting a snake. While there are species that do fall within your parameters, I can't think of any species that falls under all of them. The size you seek and the money you are willing to pay aren't going to work for you.

Darkbird likes this.
  3. Cronie

Cronie Member

I am OK with not getting a snake, but I am curious what the nearest match would be. The idea of this has just piqued my curiosity. When I was a kid, we would catch and release little red-bellied snakes that we would find in the woods (northeast US) So most of this is probably nostalgia, but I wouldn't mind learning a bit along the way :)

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

You could get a dekayi's brown snake which is a pretty common native species in the US but you're not going to fund a captive bred one. They eat worms and slugs and they are really small but still quite a bit bigger than 6 to 8 inches.

Technically a blind snake fits all your other criteria but again not captive bred and you need a supply of ant or termite eggs and you'd never ever even know you had it because it'd be buried 99.9% of the time.

You'd have to compromise on at least one of your criteria. There's many captive bred species on the market that you can get relatively easy such as corn snakes or even garter snakes which make good pets.

5. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

The snakes you may have caught as a kid were probably ringneck snakes. I live in mass. They used to be common. Hard to find now and very small adults. But it is illegal to keep native species. There's isn't many choices you're leaving for yourself. But a milk snake or corn snake is a good beginning snake. Not large. Maybe a couple feet to three feet. Non aggressive. Captive bred and highly available. Only thing is they will eat rodents. Insects when very small but not for long. But they don't need large spaces and are fairly easy to keep. Good luck.

6. Cronie

Cronie Member

Just to be clear, I never kept any of the snakes I found as a kid ... we would catch them, put them in a can or a cardboard box for 20 minutes so we could look at them, then release them. My mother said they were "red belly racers" at the time, but I think that might not be accurate.

In any case, I would never take a wild snake as a pet.

Jsilverback64 likes this.
  7. Cronie

Cronie Member

At this point, I am leaning towards not getting one. The more I think about it, it was probably a misguided idea. I certainly don't want a snake that is hidden all the time lol Thank you for replying

8. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

Can I ask why such narrow requirements? There are some cool snakes that can be kept in a ten gallon if you like them and just have the time. But they take time no matter the size.

9. Cronie

Cronie Member

Because it was just a thought :) I thought it would be neat to own a tiny snake. I saw a picture of a small snake (not sure if it was a baby or full grown)

That's about it :) It was something I thought would be interesting and now that I have looked into it I am thinking better of it.