This Disappears When Logged In

New Rtb

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by ThatOneguy420, Aug 9, 2013.

1. ThatOneguy420

ThatOneguy420 Active Member

Directly under the lamp is 120. And on the log is 102 and in the half log is 92. I feel like that is a good gradient because when it wants that 102 degree heat for digesting good and being able to pass it without problems and the 92 degrees in the half hide for just normal heating when it wants and the cold side is a little to hot so what i will do instead of getting a thermostat i actually have a light with a dimmer so i will actually use that instead

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You need to get those temps down! 90-95 should be the warmest spot in the cage.

3. ThatOneguy420

Yeah i did im using the one with the dimmer so its around 90-95

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I've had a snake die because of thermostat failure on an uth... On top of that, a light too. Just be careful. The thermostats I currently use are 25.00 from amazon. Not too expensive.

5. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

I tried to explain all of this earlier but this guy refuses to listen. In fact I was the one who got in trouble by the moderator because he upset me to the point I associated his name with things that are no appropriate for this site. Good luck getting through to him. I hope for the snakes sake someone can explain why a thermostat is needed for safety sake! Especially when using heat lamps on top of plastic bins. ( I rescued 2 ball pythons with plastic burns from a teenager. Believe me it wasnt pretty. )

6. ThatOneguy420

i lowered the temp its just as good as a thermostat lowers the watt of the light if its really THAT important like life or death matter i will buy it.. I just dont think its that important. And for the safety of the snake he will be just fine i listened to you guys by lowering the temp but i just didn't go out and buy a thermostat i can if i really need to. I know what im doing the dome does not even get hot and the bulb is a good like 5 in away the plastic is cold to the touch i will not burn any plastic onto the snake. And thats a shame about those ball pythons i have one my self shes a pretty big like 5 foot female loves to be handled and i love to hold her when i can she is at the other house though.

7. ThatOneguy420

Wow that sucks iv only roasted a frog one time when i was like 9 and i had a heat bulb on a tree frog that i raised from a tad poll. Yeah i am im using a pretty good fixture i switched to one with a dimmer and i dimmed it down to 90 degrees so it will be ok , and when i build the enclsoure for the boa in the future i will buy a thermostat so thanks for the info

8. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

Listen I dont mean to be coming down so hard on you but there is ALOT of knowledge in this forum that are trying to help you. We all were where you are at one point in time , in fact I argued about a dimmer being the same as a thermostat, i will explain why they are not the same. A dimmer will reduce the current going to a heat source thereby lowering the temps BUT ( and here is the main difference ) it does not and can not adjust itself to surrounding external conditions. example lets say you live in a nice air conditioned house that is oh 72 deg. now for whatever reason the air gets turned off on a hot day or say the AC breaks. if you set your dimmer according to that 72 deg external air and lets say its set for 90 deg. now the room temp jumps to 85 deg. the dimmer will not adjust itself and those 13 extra deg will cause your temps to spike to 103. Its a constant battle to deal with. Now on the other hand a thermostat will self regulate and keep within a few deg. of the set temps no matter what external conditions occur. Some high end thermostats will even cut the power if a dangerous level is reached but that is something that you could get later down the road. Thermostats dont have to be really expensive. Amazon sells a good intro digital thermostat made by HYDROFARM for like $25. not expensive at all. I have tried my best to explain the difference between the two and why it is so important. BTW judging from the pics of the boa I would be feeding it an adult mouse once a week. at almost 22" in length it can easily handle an adult mouse. Try to switch to rats once it gets a bit bigger! ( rats have better nutrition.)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  9. Merlin

To simplify things. A dimmer is fine,...if there is no fluctuation in the temperatures of the room.
    A thermostat deals with those fluctuations. If the room gets hotter or cooler, the stat deals with it and holds the temperature steady. A dimmer doesn't.

10. ThatOneguy420

Yeah my room stays a constant 75-90 every day and the reptile lights stay hot enough and they will not get to hot because i set up the lights when it would be the hottest in the day so i wouldnt have to do adjusting later on. I have 2 leos a beardie 3 western fence and 3 tarantulas and iv had them for a while n all of their temperatures have practicality stayed the same since iv gotten them

11. Merlin

Your room ranges from 70-90? In that case there is no way your unregulated heaters can be keeping the temperatures in the tank at a steady level!
    You are not listening. Setting up your lights on the hottest part of the day doesn't take into consideration what happens when the room cools off. The lights are still putting out the same amount of heat, but with the temperature in the room dropping so is the temperature in the tank.

12. ThatOneguy420

Yeah for sure, but We dont have Ac lol we are poor yeah i feel you about the thermostat but my room stays a constant temp so the tanks stay constant, Also for that type of situation if it gets hotter iv already adjusted it when it was a super hot day in the middle of the day to the right temp and it stays there because my room temp dosnt change like at all n if it does its from like 80 to 75 at night because its night u know it gets colder but, I can see how the thermostat would help out someone else, I will buy a thermostat in the future when i move to the other house or if i get a ac but until then i think i will be fine thankyou for explaining though.

13. ThatOneguy420

Ment to put 80 i accidentally hit 90 my bad but they are regulated you can come over and check if you really want, my room does not cool off though even at night the coldest it gets is 68 Im in California it does not get very cold and yeah it should drop at night though it simulates night time so instead of it being 95 on the hot spot like it is in the day its like 85-90 at night you have to think in the wild where their actually from there isnt constant heat so im sure he will be fine

14. Merlin

If all you have is a dimmer, the temperatures are not regulated. All we can do is suggest what you need to do in order to do things properly.
    Whether you take our advise or not is your call.

15. ThatOneguy420

How are they not regulated they stay in the exact temps that a lot of people have suggested don't know how much better that can be i don't want it to stay one temperature if it does not go over 100 and dosnt go under 70 im good with it, Alright then i dont see why i need to buy one now if i have my temps good

16. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You are mistaken. In the wild they are NOT stuck in a 15 gallon container with no escape from the heat. They can hide in cooler, shady areas.
    If you cannot afford a thermostat to keep this boa from overheating you you need to provide him with a much larger enclosure where he won't risk roasting. Sure, $30 seems like a lot but that snake deserves better then this. Is his life not worth $30 to you?

17. ThatOneguy420

ill build a bigger enclsoure and buy a thermostat later

18. Merlin

You can say whatever you like but the truth is that if your heating device is set with a dimmer and the temperature in the room fluctuates, so too does the temperature in the tank. The snake's body functions are affected by whether it is exposed to the correct temperatures. Not having the proper conditions will affect whether or not it can digest its food properly as well as preventing its immune system functions from preventing illness.
    We are doing our best to help you with it but it seems that all you want to do is argue that you know everything.

19. ThatOneguy420

ill build a bigger enclosure and buy a thermostat with it.